This Is How Much a Tech Worker Can Make in NYC

NYC Skyline

The average tech worker in New York City made $118,600 in 2012, according to a new report from the state comptroller.

That’s 50 percent higher than the average salary for workers in the city. “The tech sector is such an important part of the city right now, and the numbers are just amazing,” Mayor Bill de Blasio announced at a press conference this week, as reported by Crain’s.

Click here to find tech jobs in New York City.

Under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York City spent several years (and quite a bit of money) promoting its “Silicon Alley” startup scene. Those small tech companies, in conjunction with major firms such as Google and Facebook, generated a total of $5.6 billion in annual revenues for the municipality, along with 58,000 tech jobs and 83,000 non-tech jobs. In addition to that, local non-tech industries employ 150,000 tech workers.

A recent report by the Association for a Better New York (ABNY), New York Tech Meetup (NYTM), Citi, and Google found that a lack of a bachelor’s degree wasn’t an impediment to people working in New York City’s tech scene, with 44 percent of jobs in the local “tech ecosystem” obtainable without a four-year diploma.

According to that report, technology-related jobs in New York City’s tech industry pay around $46.50 per hour, or 75 percent more than the NYC workforce average. Non-tech jobs in tech industry paid an average of $33 per hour, or 25 percent more than the local workforce average.

The latest survey of New York technology executives by Robert Half Technology found high demand for workers skilled in Windows and network administration, as well as developers capable of building iOS, Android, and HTML5 apps. Java, JavaScript (including newer JavaScript frameworks), and Google apps also ranked high on the list of desired skills.

Related Articles

Image: pisaphotography/Shutterstock.com

Comments

1. BY jelabarre says:

Yeah, but you’re *still* working in NYC, one of the dirtiest and nastiest places in the northeast. You have to pay exorbitent NYC taxes, and if you’re unfortunate enough to be living in NYC, your rent & such will suck up a significant chunk of that income. And if you’re outside the city (like I am) commuting could take another 4 or so hours out of your day (it’s a 1.5hr train ride for me to get to GCT, for example; you still have to take the subway to your job). The cost of commuting to NYC from outside the city is hellish, and you still have to pay NYC taxes anyway. All that just to work in a stinkhole like NYC. Nope, no thanks.

• BY Richard says:

(I made a followup comment, but mistakenly made it a separate comment rather than a reply; see below starting, “Well, to provide another viewpoint…”)

2. BY Richard says:

Well, to provide another viewpoint: I work in tech in midtown Manhattan; I’m a sysadmin for a financial firm. I live on the upper east side, a few blocks from Central Park, which is an enormous, sprawling and gorgeous park filled with trees, ponds, lakes, spectacular views and recreation. The streets around me are brimming with beautiful architecture and (just now) blooming, flowering trees. I take the subway to work; it takes me 30 minutes door to door. Any day of the week I have my pick of the very best of live theatre, music, dining, world-class museums, bars — essentially any kind of culture or entertainment that exists. I don’t have to own or maintain a car; haven’t needed or missed having one in the 10 years I’ve lived here. And as far as finances go: I rent, and after all expenses I saved net $278k in calendar 2013 (between 401(k) and regular savings).

Are there “dirty and nasty” part of NYC? Sure, as there are in most any big city. However, that does not describe the whole place, nor necessarily the experience of living here. And it is possible to work in tech, live in the city, enjoy your life and all the amazing things NYC has to offer, and meet reasonable savings goals.

• BY sam says:

New York is an awesome place to work. I held a Desktop Support position at one of the cosmetic giants on fifth ave right across the street from Central park till I got laid off. Right now I’m in search of another gig in NYC. Really enjoyed working in midtown. The vibe, the different cultures/people/food/languages, the energy, you just can’t find that same mix elsewhere. Yes it’s kind of gritty and the commute can be rough sometimes (I commuted through the Lincoln tunnel every day from Jersey City) but it’s not that bad.

Richard if you don’t mind letting me know what is your skill set?
      The reason I ask is because I aspire to become a Sysadmin/SysEngineer and it seems that you’re pretty successful at what you do.

• BY Richard says:

Hi Sam — sure. I have been working for about 30 years now, in various areas: networking (design, management, routing, multicast, OSPF, RIP, BGP, PIM); industrial and academic research on network security and formal methods; software development (mostly systems-oriented, in a variety of languages including C, Perl, Python, Java, Scheme, ML, and Haskell); general Unix systems administration; and design and implementation of security systems (PKI, TLS, SSH, GSSAPI, Kerberos, etc.). My educational background includes degrees in mathematics and computer science. I’ve also written a few books on related topics.

• BY Mikey says:

Wait did you say 278K or was that 28K or 78K saved in 2013? If so what kind of Sysadmin work do you do and how can I get on to make that kind of money. :D

• BY Richard says:

Sorry, it was late and that was a typo, though not the typo you suspected: that should be $278k over the prior *two* years (calendar 2012/2013).

• BY Joe says:

I’m glad you like NYC Richard. It does have its advantages. You are fortunate to get hired. Not having a car helps, but if I may be little nosy, how long did it take you to find a decent rental? How much does it set you back? Doesn’t NYC have a city income tax along with a very high state income tax? I also assume you are not a parent as private schools in NYC are very pricey and the public schools a disgrace. Best of luck to you.

3. BY Emilov says:

What I don’t see in the article: corp taxes and office rents are so high, that a direct consequence is: employers are so much more demanding, it’s simply unbelievable. I’m talking a few years back, before the Great R.

4. BY Mutt says:

I’m curious what it’s like to rent there. Moving from the Southeast, I’m sure the cost of living in NYC is outrageous isn’t it?

I mean, if one was interested in taking a gig there, how could one afford the move? I’m really curious because I’ve heard there’s a lot of interesting work happening (and frankly I think it’d be fun to try NYC for a while), but economically does it really make sense?

5. BY M0ntY says:

What’s not clear is how an average $46.50 per hour translates into average $118,600 per year.