3 Stories on Computer Science Degrees

Employers like computer science graduates because of their innate smarts, but some shy away from hiring them because of their lack of business and real-world development skills. To help put your degree in context, here are three stories to bear in mind as you transition from the academic world to the workplace.

graduate5 Things to Learn About Computer Science Degrees

Computer science degrees come with a common misconception, which often discourages students from pursuing those studies: They’ll turn you into an isolated code cruncher. That’s not really the case.

5 Top Jobs for Computer Science Graduates

Where can are the best opportunities? Think software, mobile apps and Big Data to start.

5 Tips for Computer Science Freshmen

Beginning college is a big adjustment for anyone, but it can be especially daunting for computer science majors. After all, they’re jumping into a tough curriculum that’s very different from the work they did in high school, and even those who’ve taken CS will face big changes.

Comments

1. BY project manager says:

One thing to keep in mind, computer science degree grads have a very high unemployment rate. Its around 10 percent. Business degrees are around 2 percent. My sons computer science friends can’t find jobs… but he has a good one.

• BY Christopher says:

Yes ProjectManager, it is true that computer scientists seek and can demand higher salaries.

2. BY Wayne Vinkavich says:

Have to agree with Project Manager. Over 15 years ago one of the nieghbors and his kid asked me about going College for Computer Science. I told him although I have enjoyed my career, I would think long an hard about it. I told him from my experience if you are smart enough to do that you can do just about anything. So think long and hard. Unless you really love it, your going down a road that often requires long hours and weekends, constant vigulant effor to keep your skillset current and would be entering a profession that values youth and inovation where you most likely will be considered ancient by the time your 35. He became a Union Electrician IEBW, has a pension, no student debt, a home, family and his own side business that specializes in programing electronic control systems.

3. BY BillM says:

If I could compare it to construction, a business degree is comparable to an architect, whereas a computer science degree is equivalent to a bricklayer.

4. BY Christopher says:

I would never hire a business person to write scientific software. A business degree lets you be a Business Analyst, but not a hard-core developer. Of course, if it’s just simple business apps then the BA might be able to figure it out. But when it comes to complex algorithms, mathematics, science, etc., etc., you need the computer scientist to be in charge of design.

5. BY Dave says:

“Over 35 and you’re ancient…” are you serious? If you’re a lazy a$$ and get stuck in a big company doing the same thing over and over, if you hide in meetings and push paper around all day, I can see where your skills would atrophy pretty fast… and who would be to blame?

I’m constantly turning down work that often involves cleaning up messes and buggy software created by engineers that never learned the discipline to properly architect, modularize, test, and document their code. And they don’t know a resistor from a transistor so God help them if they ever have to get “under the hood” if they run into hardware issues, timing, etc.

6. BY Gavin Steffer says:

All of you are a joke and obviously do not love your profession, its just your job. You lack any true skills in CS and your comments show it. I am a sophomore in CS and already work a a full time job at a Technology Company (I am 19 years old) with full benefits at the same time writing code and software development as a freelance making more in a month than most of you will make in a year, as you stand angrily in the unemployment lines waiting for their computer to pull up the data base with your name on it. (Its people like me that are taking your jobs, because when employers see my CS skills, they see what skills you are lacking). Employers are banging down my door to work for them. Where I say I am good… others would and do call me a god/genius/prodigy. If it involves technology, I am there. Maybe a lot of you ‘should” have become plumbers, since you love dealing in $hit all day. I would also like to say that CS is not for everyone but it is definitely a skill set that will be needed for many years to come…and I’m banking on that!.