Majority of Engineers May Job Hop in 2014

With tech salaries rising a modest 3 percent last year and IT professionals realizing the best way to bump up their salaries is land a new job, it’s not all that shocking that a new study finds more than 60 percent of engineers may seek a new job in 2014. And, of this group, 40 percent are already looking, according to the survey conducted by Experis, a unit of ManpowerGroup.

2014 Opportunities“At the same time, 95 percent of hiring managers of engineers report difficulty filling open engineering positions,” the company reports. “Eighty-eight percent of these plan to hire engineers this year, while 29 percent do not believe they will be able to find the engineering talent they need for their businesses. Electrical/electronics engineers ranked highest on the list of the most in-demand.”

With engineers finding compensation growth rather lackluster and new opportunities plentiful, hiring managers and recruiters may potentially find a greater pool of available talent.

The survey of 700 engineers and 200 hiring managers also found that when it comes to engineers:

• 72 percent work eight to 10 hours a day
  • 58 percent rarely or never have the option to work remotely

An increasing number of companies are beginning to offer the ability to telecommute, especially in Silicon Valley – with the exception of Yahoo, which may be another reason engineers are looking for new opportunities.

Of the companies surveyed, 17 percent seek electrical/electronics engineers, 14 percent mechanical or manufacturing engineers and 6 percent each for chemical and computer engineers.

According to a separate talent shortage survey, engineers have been among the top 10 most difficult positions to hire every year since 2008, two years after the annual survey began.

For hiring managers of engineers, the Experis survey reports challenges filling positions stem from a lack of applicants, 44 percent, lack of hard skills needed for the position, 37 percent, lack of experience, 33 percent, salary demands that are too high, 29 percent, and lack of workplace competencies/soft skills, 23 percent.

Comments

1. BY Fred Bosick says:

So, how is it that tech salaries rose 3% last year(barely exceeding inflation), yet business claims a talent shortage?

Salary demands aren’t too high. Business is too cheap.

Note that the rise in CEO salaries comfortably exceeds inflation.

• BY JOE1 says:

(Mech Eng) My company let me go last year. Just as I reached the 3 week vacation mark. I was hired well under the average salary and never got brought up to the mid range of average salary. I worked between 50 to 65 hours a week for 6 years. My co-workers always asked my advice on projects. When I asked HR to be brought up to the mid range of average salary, I got no response for a week and then avoidance for two weeks then I lost my job.

2. BY Steve says:

When don’t Engineers “job-hop” ? When they are simply given pink-slips?

3. BY Anthony says:

As a JavaScript Developer, I only will stand for one raise that barely meets inflation. Companies need to understand a 3% raise v.s a 5k to 10k (sometimes 15k) increase when you jump ship. Who wouldn’t jump ship?

Last year I got a 6.5% raise. It is still more lucrative to jump ship. I wouldn’t say jump every year but every 3-5 years gets you the salary bump you want and doesn’t destroy your resume.

4. BY Joe says:

Why is Dice perpetuating the lie that there is a shortage of IT people? While IT is in better shape than a lot of other occupations, the idea of job hopping is a joke.

• BY Fred Bosick says:

Because DICE wants to keep happy its most consistent ad buyers, megacorps who place ads only to barely satisfy labor laws before turning around and shoveling more H-1Bs into their maws.