Cognizant to Hire 10,000 U.S. Tech Workers

In what might be — at least in part — a bid to make nice with critics of its H-1B hiring, IT outsourcing company Cognizant Technology Solutions has announced plans to hire 10,000 workers in the U.S. over the next three years.

We're Hiring SignThe company is setting up its U.S. headquarters in College Station, Texas – home to Texas A&M University – and will donate $150,000 to the university’s effort to lure high school students into STEM careers. Its global headquarters will remain in Teaneck, N.J.

For at least the past two years, Cognizant has been the country’s top employer of H-1B visa-holders, and has been considered especially vulnerable to immigration reform proposals in Congress. The company has 29,000 employees in the U.S., and about 166,400 globally, the majority located in India.

Bloomberg reports that Cognizant plans to bring in workers from other parts of the world, in addition to the 10,000 domestic hires.

“There is not enough people in this country right now with the skills I need at Cognizant,” Cognizant President Gordon Coburn told Forbes. “We are at full employment for the IT sector. People graduating from IT schools have multiple offers. And I have 1,000 jobs open right now in the U.S. alone and I cannot fill them.”

Of course, that doesn’t explain how he’ll fill 10,000 openings.

Coburn told Bloomberg that the improved U.S. economy is driving the hiring push. Twice this year, the company has raised its forecast for profit and sales.

“We are committed to supporting education to help the U.S. remain competitive in an increasingly global economy,” Coburn said in Forbes. “Right now, we have to look overseas for employees. We are not bringing in foreign workers to lower the pay grade of IT professionals. We are doing it because we need to hire on a massive scale and that is a major challenge for companies like ours.”

Comments

1. BY Chelsea Schalton says:

Every time I read an article like this it makes me cringe. What Mr. Coburn really means is he can’t find enough American workers who will work for the LOW wages he wants to pay, so he sources talent from weaker economies. There are literally millions of unemployed or underemployed American workers with all the skills he needs. He just has to be willing to pay them a reasonable wage.

• BY GUEST says:

Chelsea is absolutely correct. This problem has existed for at least the past dozen years and is only getting worse. At least 90% of the IT workers with whom I interact are here on H1B visas. At the same time, I know “kids” who graduated with honors from college with computer science degrees, and who can find work only as minimum-wage workers in retail stores; there are also lots of older workers with advanced degrees and decades of experience who can find no jobs at all.

• BY Barry G says:

The business lobbies and immigration law lobbies are two additional factions that are never, ever brought up.

I’m aware of quite a number of engineering, computer science and other technically degreed people who cannot work for what Indians are being paid. I see this on all projects I’m involved with, because the very vast majority are from India. Only a few of which I’d consider talented. The rest are really quite average or below.

When we send out job requisitions for new consulting hires, Americans are almost always rejected, because their income requirements / desires are higher.

Gordon Coburn is full of… well… you know. Almost all US companies are now fully on this bandwagon. After all, it’s all about the money, right Gordo??

2. BY Disgusted says:

Absolute, utter B.S. What he really means is that there is not enough people in this country that he can pay the same peanuts wages as so-called developers in India.

• BY Mary G says:

You are soooooooooo right-
      I am a Sr. Network Engineer and they won’t hire me.
      Have been in IT for over 20 years. They want to pay Rajid $10.00 per hr but won’t pay an American what they are worth

• BY Steve says:

We don’t have the IT skills in the US. Over 400,000 jobs going unfilled. Emotional responses with no basis in fact. We are all better off if you just don’t post without any basis in facts.

• BY UBB says:

Your statement is simply untrue. As a former IT hiring manager, and now a contractor myself, I saw my employers shift from 40 full time employees and 20 contractors in my department to the exact reverse. Moreover, the wages paid to the contract staff TODAY, have not risen from what I was offering contract employees in 2003. My current employer (major health care firm) has an IT staff that is SEVENTY PERCENT contract hires, and two thirds of those are H1B’s. It is simply exploitation of THEM and US.

• BY Bob Small says:

So Steve what journal, article, study, or business report are you using to justify your response that the US has unemployed and unskilled workers? The fact is that there are numerous 40+ year old extremely skilled IT persons with over 20+ years of experience that are looking for employment. The problem is that companies such as Cognizant do not want to pay the wages that are required to support a mortgage, family of four, after school programs for our kids, and fuel to get too and from work. So please, please, PLEASE Steve post a link to your support to your statement….!

• BY Concerned Citizen says:

Nonsense – the US has 15 million STEM grads already with only 5 million STEM-related jobs. We already have three times as many people as we need without importing anyone, so don’t tell me they can’t fill positions. As others have already said, this is all about CHEAP labor.

• BY John says:

Yeah right. I have 25 years experience in IT. Director level experience at Microsoft, HP, and other big names. Relevant hands-on coding skills in all the latest technologies having shipped software billions of users use everyday- and I can’t even land a decent interview after applying for 500 jobs because no one wants to pay for my salary because they can hire three software teams in Delhi where the average pay rate for a senior software developer is $7/HR. Sad considering that when you make a company a billion dollars, they don’t even want to pay middle class salaries let alone take care of anyone anymore.

I run an IT staffing business, I know how the game is played. It is a sad time for America right now in the race to the bottom. If you want the facts my friend- the facts are that at the current rate by 2016 half of all good paying white collar jobs will have been offshored from America.

• BY GJW says:

I totally agree. If what they say is true, then I should be working but I haven’t had a contracf since the end of August. When I do find work, the rates are half what I made 10 years ago.

• BY Barry G says:

The rates are going down, too, and will continue to do so until more Americans say they’ve had enough and the numbers of available resources will decay further. Indian firms are very well aware of this dynamic. It is all about the money!!

Many American execs are rewarded / “bonused” for bring projects in early and / or under budget.

The disparities between US and Indian salaries are too big. Indians know this, then want to stay in the US. Look at immigration stats for H1-Bs applying for green cards to stay in the US. Even when they get here, they form mom and pop shops, and in turn, recruit for the cheap labor themselves from the US.

The H1-B situation will not change. All US companies have to do is open operations in India. Then, the convenience of the L1 visa is at their disposal as well. L1 visas are intra-company visas. They can bring in as many people as they’d like. No limits.

• BY kk says:

You can’t compare the salaries in India to salaries here. Even an h1-b who comes to US doesn’t work for the same salary as in India. H1-B regulations stipulate a minimum wage depending on the location which varies from 50k to 80k. So you can’t hire an h1-b for the same salary as in India, which is typically about 15k to 20k.

I work for cognizant and I’m on H1-B. I make well over 6 digits salary as a sr. developer. Chances are I’m better paid than typical American companies paying their American employees.

• BY G Mac says:

That’s by design of Congress. The more American companies/CEO’s can make, the more they can contribute to Congress’ campaign funds which we all know are being abused and used personally by these crooked bastards!

• BY Sharm says:

r u kidding.I know few sr managers from Cognizant vertical they don’t make 6 digits salary….my friends want to look for different jobs,but are stuck in Cognizant as Cognizant is holding there GC papers…

• BY Tom Ketcher says:

I got news for this guy from Cognizant, As with most things in life, You get what you pay for. I have worked with Indians for years now. I have yet to work with one whose actual work lived up to their resume. I don’t care how cheap they work, they simply cannot do the job. So where is the Bargain?

• BY shekhar says:

Mr. tom, If an Indian cannot do the job why the heck does your CEO’s recruit people from here? They just want their job done with talents at a cheaper price. And most of you people sleep at night cause we work in india. You call a week holiday when its a day off in middle of the week and look for a job security and a higher pay.. Get some sense from somewhere before you throw BS

3. BY Paul C says:

COGNIZANT LIES! I am a an IT Strategic Sourcing Manager for a global company that uses Cognizant. We NEVER, EVER see Americans brought in to do project work. They are almost always INDIANS, many with very poor English skills. Bothe the DEMS and the GOP who favor increasing H1Bs are BETRAYING America and American workers.

Cognizant, Infosys, WIPRO and TATA have already DESTROYED IT for Americans.

• BY Mary G says:

And the Indians have no clue if you do not follow their flow charts or fit in the flow chart model.
      Oh yeah, and don’t forget- the most popular phrase – “Can you please hold for a few minutes?”
      Then they still come up with a stupid response

• BY H1B worker says:

A developer doesn’t need good English, he is not going to write an essay or a news paper publication. Technical skills are good enough to be a developer. Change the world, don’t hire Indians, can u???Skilled people will get hired irrespective of their nationality

• BY Stimpy says:

Go home. You are an invading parasite.

• BY Bob Small says:

I’m sorry and how is that developer supposed to update his/her supervisor regarding the status of the project, the problems with the project, the delays with the project or even how to work around the problems? How will he/she convey this information if they cannot speak English?
        Oh wait we don’t have to…..because his/her supervisor probably can’t speak English as well!!!

• BY john says:

Yes, good developers do need excellent communication skills to understand what they are being asked to build. I am a 25+ yr Director of software development with over 12 years of working with offshore teams in India. Project execution with developers that are not fluent in English is risky at best. I really do not care what color, race, sex, religion the developer is. I care about developers who are smart, know how to communicate effectively and of course code well. It is also a disgrace how Indian. Companies take advantage of Indian visa workers to pay them subsistant wages in the US. Our law makers are unamerican by allowing the pillaging of the tech sector by unscrupulous multinationals. The problem does not lie with a lack of unskilled labor in the US. It lies with congress allowing jibs to be given to the lowest overseas, often, but not always unqualified workets brought here via our very lax immigration laws. BTW I am for controlled immigration, but not an open door policy that undermines the economics of our country.

• BY Tom Ketcher says:

Yes, They spend millions buying off members of Congress in order to Circumvent our rules, bring their worthless programmers to take our jobs and the work has to be done again because it is sub-standard. But hey they are Cheap!

• BY vijay says:

I PAY FOR MC DONALDS, BURGER KING, PEPSIs IN INDIA AND THE TAX COMES TO YOU IN US for your development……what say…..i am not crying that you are taking my money…….it is globalised world….so this is the reality….accept and it you will be happy…..

• BY VP says:

You are absolutely right. I am without employment almost 6 months without a job and collecting unemployment benefits. I have more than 10 yrs of experience in SAP, and I get interviews almost every day with no offer. Just phony interviews. Then they find some one for less. The congress and American people have to wake up.

• BY Sunny says:

Sad my friend.. Trust me when I say 50-60% of them H1 are SAP professional.. I was in India working for indian IT COs.. and every other day i see someone going “Onsite” when asked what they worked on .. SAP .. on top of that these companies never run out of SAP jobs in India and hire in 1000s every month to work 24×7..

• BY Jerome Thorson says:

Paul,
      Just fire Cognizant or at least let them know that they will not be invited to renew.

4. BY Guest says:

Cognizant pays good money to media that is for sure..

Since USCIS is rejecting L1/B1/H1 visa now a days…So Cognizant is not able to get people from India…So this is the new trend that Cognizant wants to follow(Hire people from USA)

Since Cognizant gets cheap labor from India.How can they(CTS) hire the cheap labor from USA,
    (That is not possible in general)..So Cognizant is targeting the students who are ready to take the offer for less salary…hhahahhahahh

There is a very good reason behind each step take from Cognizant !!!!

5. BY Ed says:

How about bring back another 150k jobs.

6. BY Scott C says:

@PAUL C – Agree 100%

7. BY Jim F says:

I am a contractor in IT Security for over 20 years. The rates have fallen over $20 per hour in just the last 3 years. I echo the comments ” There aren’t enough US workers willing to work that cheap”. If you want people to join the IT industry raise the pay, don’t expect them to work 60 hours per week for 40 hours pay. Then recognize a college degree isn’t a replacement for technical training and experience.
    The visa program should be severely limited.

8. BY Lee says:

I agree, I think there bottom line is cheap labor, not to mention a lot of the H1-B’s become prisoners to the organization once hired and can only leave if another company is willing to transfer the sponsorship. This guy is full of crap!

9. BY Sharm says:

I think many senior employee from Cognizant are leaving now a days..So they are no good people at onsite to full fill the demand..So they are hiring new students from schools.

Cognizant will never hire Americans students though ;)

10. BY NN says:

Hello,

This gentleman at Cognizant is a complete joker; I must say that he is a complete idiot. He couldn’t find people with skills in the USA, but he was able to find skills workers in India. He works for a body-shop and his job is to exploit people and hire the cheapest resource on the market. Conversely, it is the dumbest PR’s campaign aimed at the Congress of the USA. Indeed, I must ask this gentleman to share with me his openings; I promise to this idiot that I will find qualified candidates for each one of his openings. Furthermore, these candidates are going to be American citizens and green card holders. In conclusion, this gentleman must stop consuming too much of curry.

11. BY Charlie says:

There are plenty of IT workers that have lost jobs and haven’t been rehired. Problem is so many of them are over 50 and no one wants to hire them.

12. BY Harry Armen says:

I totally agree with Paul and I like to repeat.
    Cognizant, Infosys, WIPRO and TATA have already DESTROYED IT for Americans.

• BY NN says:

@Harry

You mustn’t forget the biggest exploiter which is IBM; they promised to their shareholders to increase the IBM’s share price by $20.00. You can add Accenture, Deloitte, Pwc and others. You mustn’t forget all these fat selfish CIOs who have done their best to increase their bonuses by hiring cheap resources. Indeed, these CIO’s jobs are going to be outsourced to India very soon.

13. BY fred cee says:

Add IBM and Deloitte to the list of destroying American jobs.
    These cos. falsify job nos. available to get H1B visas increased.
    Then pillage govt. projects like Obamacare and state projects.
    Not just a fed blunder, feds and state officials are getting paid off.
    More proof of the US world corruption rating going up.

• BY Stimpy says:

Honeywell can’t outsource engineering jobs fast enough. Only hire domestically when foreign citizens excluded by contract and then they don’t hire older candidates. They have fun with their stacked ranking employee rating system and use it to exercise age discrimination.

• BY Joe says:

And Accenture.

14. BY Michael Hunt says:

Kudos to Cognizant. I believe hiring local talent will be a challenge, but can be done with a dedicated effort. The biggest challenge the H1B visa IT professional has is not only acclimating to a completely different culture , language and process , but interpreting what a US based Technical Manager wants done. The US based Technical Manager needs to learn how to utilize his Talented H1B workforce in the most efficient manner possible. Communication is key!

• BY Joe says:

I know of only TWO American born employees at Cognizant. I suspect those 10000 jobs will all be H-1B’s.

15. BY Ernie B says:

In light of the above comments, it would seem these large H1B employers need to be held to a ” Trust but Verify” standard that proves 1. That they are training, interviewing & placing US IT workers
    2. That they are PAYING them skilled US knowledge worker rates!
    3. Produce comparative metrics
    ” Ought’a be a Law”

16. BY Carlitos Huey says:

I’ve never seen an advertisement for a job from COGNIZANT in the major job sites in the USA

17. BY AL says:

What about investing in OJT like we did in the past? Stop expecting the specialized skills to be available, that’s not how the college education systems work in the US. Other countries may subsidize specialization, we don’t. Make the investment!

18. BY ConnieZ says:

If Cognizant is biased towards Indians, that is definitely not fair. But if “global” companies really want to hire Americans, they probably should be doing the hiring themselves, instead of utilizing vendors, such as Cognizant, Infosys, and others.

19. BY G Mac says:

Thanks Congress for letting our American workers fall behind once again! You’re doing a bang up job! Maybe you should go to India and see how much the Indians have invested in educating their people so that they can come take our jobs!

Good work you morons!

• BY Rufus44 says:

I’m not supporting off-shore providers, H1Bs, etc … but to blame Congress because lazy entitled Americans aren’t keeping skills up to date? Really?? It is the responsibility of each of us to keep ourselves relevant to our CURRENT and future employeers. This often means studying, researching, keeping up with trends, etc on our own time. If you want to stagnate and slowly become obsolete, that’s your choice. While it’s awesome when companies invest in training and education for their employees, often funds are wasted by people who don’t appreciate the educational opportunities, or don’t put it to use. And don’t say “that’s my employeer’s fault cuz they don’t let me work on projects that put my newly acquired knowledge to good use.” They utilize you where they need you at the moment. It’s up to you to work the hallways, communicate growth opps with you mgmt, cruz Monster & Dice, etc to find those opportunities. Stop whining for someone else to look out for you … be a grown man/woman and look out for yourselves!!!

Best wishes on satisfying employment to all!

• BY Unca Alby says:

@Rufus44, you do not know what you are talking about.

We invest in current technologies, we take college courses, we KNOW the latest technologies forward, backwards, up and down. Hell, who you do think INVENTED these technologies?

But we DON’T get the job unless we change our names to “Venkatesh Gupta”.

20. BY IT Guy says:

What hiring managers don’t seem to understand or don’t want to understand is that code is code, we rarely write anything from scratch, and an experienced IT professional can learn the new tool or a similar language very quickly. When they try to fill a position, they look to see if you know the specific tools and languages they use, if they are not on the list, your resume is ignored. You know DB2, well we need someone who knows Oracle, you know what, they are not that different, and anyone who uses code developer tools can pickup Oracle. You have to understand concepts, be able to learn and pickup the business side of things, and then you can easily understand what the code is doing and why. I learn by doing, so taking classes and getting certifications are pointless unless I have a job using what I learned. Technology and products change too fast for me to take a meaningful class in something that I don’t use. You also have to be able to take ownership of the whole process, writing code is only about 10% of what I do. My company brings in guys from India and 70% of them are worthless. All they want to do is write code, and when the code is written they want to be done and move on to the next piece of code. I spend hours putting together specs and design for a change that I could have done in half the time it took me to hand it off to my Indian buddy. And then I seem to have to hold their hand while they test and put together the change packet, again, it could have taken me half the time just to do it myself. A few of the guys we have gotten are very good and can be helpful, but even the best of who I have worked with are mediocre compared to the US guys. And the H1B guys do get paid almost as much as I do. It amazes me that they will bring in these guys from India, put them through training (knowledge transfer) for months, but yet, they won’t hire a US worker and train them in the same way. If US companies would put forth the same effort in getting US workers trained on the specific skills they need, they would get an overall better and more productive workforce who is more likely to stay with the company long term.

• BY Dan says:

This is the experience I had too.
      The consultants from Cognizant where in US did not do much work and got paid like 80k
      This situation has to do with politics which is very scary, they are favored right now and all hiring managers were from in India, brought here in US
      almost all American IT workers were fired in one day

21. BY datamaster says:

Ethnicity and language barriers aside, as long as corporate America continues to divest itself of all social responsibilities to the American people, the trend to OUTSOURCE IT development and support will continue.

I apply a very simple policy in my own dealings with support organisations, IT or otherwise…If I seek support and the response is returned by an obviously non American individual, my frist question is “Exactly where are you located?” If the response is India or Philippines, or anywhere else except mainland USA, I ask to be transferred to a US based representative. If the answer is there are none…I close out the account immediately and seek a truly US based replacement. I have closed out three banking relationships and two support contracts in the past three months for precisly this reason…

If we continue to accept incompetent, poorly educated, over “qualified”, “zero experienced” replacements for local US talent, we have nly ourselves to blame…COGNIZANT needs to RECOGNIZE the damage it and others are doing…or it will be the end of the USA.

22. BY Steven Shepard says:

The comments here warm my heart. Thankfully Americans are seeing through the deception and lies corporate America is feeding the media. Shame on this writer for enabling Cognizant to spread their bad cess.

23. BY Bob Johnson says:

What a bunch of hooey! There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed/underemployed IT people in America. Corporations refuse to hire anyone over 50, where a lot of these people reside due to the cuts over the last 5 years, or pay top wages for their vast amount of talent. He’s just running scared because Congress is finally getting enough heat to do something about the H-1B invasion from India.

24. BY Sunny says:

I am an Indian.. on GC.. specializing in some IT bs last 7 years and the IT companies don’t even want to look at my resume .. however my friend on H1 working in igate has 4 different job offers (one of them being CTS) in 3 cities .. not surprisingly the companies as well as their employees are misusing H1

25. BY Steve Kress says:

Interesting that the new site is in Texas, not in the Northeast where they have been undercutting US workers and where they might actually have to follow some employment rules. Texas is still the wild west when it comes to employment law.
    If we are going to play in the international game, we have to expect that the corporations are going to play fast an loose in keeping their manpower costs down. In the Northeast, we have been losing to the south for a hundred years as our manufacturing plants kept moving down to the cheaper labor. My only complaint is that the Indians they keep bringing over, do not speak English with any understandable dialect. When they get excited, they are even harder to understand.
    If we are going to expect to be competing with them, let’s level the field and make English, one of their job skills. I question a lot of the skills of the H-1B’s I have had contact with and their inability to translate specifications properly has been a great issue. One gets rather tired of asking the members of telephone conferences to repeat themselves over and over because of their lack of language skill.

26. BY Joe Cusack says:

Here’s a fact from Cognizant’s web site: 96% of US jobs are for individual contributors. Tech leaders, managers and executives are mostly out of luck.

27. BY Tom DontFireMe Please says:

The 10000 workers are likely the H1-B who are getting their green cards through cognizant
    Im more concerned with the other scam that larry et al have got going bringing in a million L1′s every year for peanuts

28. BY Stimpy says:

What other country in the world would allow an army of invading tech workers to displace their own citizens from jobs? The implication is that home grown talent is useless and dumb … and now out of work and impoverished. WTF? These Indians must be laughing so hard they choke on their curry.

29. BY Sunny says:

Just to calculate roughly .. since 2005 approximately 500K jobs have been given to H1b people… total SCAM .. If companies really want foreign IT worker they should use L1 .. difficult to get, non transferable, only highly experienced people qualify and not 2 years out of college experienced Indian wannabe.. and when they go back home to get married.. they take insane dowry just because their sons/daughters are US returns… what nonsense !

30. BY Bob Small says:

I know of many Veterans that are requiring employment and are extremely skilled in the high tech industry of IT. Seems like Cognizant is a little late jumping on the Hire A Veteran bandwagon….

31. BY Bob Small says:

“And I have 1,000 jobs open right now in the U.S. alone and I cannot fill them.”

Just checked Dice.com job search under Cognizant and it lists roughly 210 jobs nationwide. 89% of them require programming language skills as the primary skill set!

32. BY boom says:

I couldn’t agree more with the comments here! There is no shortage of IT workers in the US. The only shortage is on what companies are looking to pay. I’ve been in the field almost 20 years and paid for lots and lots of my own training to move ahead during my own time, since every job posting wants you to have every IT skill known to man. There is little to no OJT. Many ads/interviews are a sham. Our jobs are classified as exempt and we’re consistently given 60 hours worth of work in a 40 hour week, with little reward or recognition for our efforts. Typically the reward for a job well done is more work and a small raise or bonus.

Gordon Coburn is locating near a school hoping to employ interns ot otherwise find cheap labor, and say he’s doing great things for the American worker. I’d like to know how much labor he is looking to bring in from other parts of the world. I wonder if it fits the 29,000 to 166,400 ratio Cognizant currently has in place. This is just a lip-service, propoganda move.

33. BY Harry Armen says:

I have written both my state senators to help to stop Visa issuance to H1B IT workers who are taking IT jobs from US Citizens and guess what NONE HAVE RESPONDED.

34. BY Rebecca says:

Glad to read these comments that show that no one is buying into a pack of lies that are being fed to us by corporate-owned media on behalf of their corporate owners.

35. BY seeing things says:

Well, here is the deal. Texas is a popular place for Indian H1bs and there are large universities in Texas – guess how many Indian students there are who will be delighted to get a job with Cognizant? – NO US students need to apply, these foreign students will get preference so they can STAY in the US and get their visa status set up.

36. BY Roger C Kumar says:

Congnizant and related Indian companies should be kicked out of this country. They manipulate, bring in cheap labor from India in rotational programs with A to Z visas (they figured out how to game the US system) and run the workforce like sweat shops at both countries, India and the USA. US citizens or foreigners who lived in the US and worked in this country (US) for a long time would not work for these manipulators. They pay the Indians in India about $500 / month of less in average at the expense of US workforce. Those indians who come here to US from India are also paid very low at the expense of US workforce.
    The funniest part is both Republicans and Democrats are buying into this BS and making regulations only to help the corporations who are promoting these corrupt activities. This is the reality guys. I was in India Bangalore for 7 months this year and talked to many IT professionals there.
    The IT folks over there want to come over here and earn as much as possible and get back,and they are very happy to come here on visas and work for little more better pay than what they get paid in India. The pay scale if very far off from an American or an Indian American get paid in the US. In other words, these companies including Cognizant, Vipro and many others are gaming the US system and making a fortune at the expense of American workers. If you need to put a stop this, go and pound at your house of representatives to put a halt to this. Otherwise this country work force is going to be wiped out sooner than later. What Cognizant is proposing is a scam.

37. BY Eddie G. says:

What’s sad is….I’ve been in IT since ’99 and I’m currently out of work, I realize that these companies can pay someone from overseas a lot less and still make their quota, but they operate HERE….shouldn’t the people HERE get “first dibs” on the jobs?…or if not first crack then at least “serious” consideration? I have been overlooked on countless interviews so far..to others who I KNOW have less experience than me! (Sigh~!) What a sad time for America!

38. BY Steve K. says:

So how do we stop it? It is going to get worse, since the immigration law out of the senate includes more h1-1b’s as a hand out for business support.
    The original law prohibited companies like Cognizant from doing what it does, but it has gotten perverted over the years. A corporation (final user) was supposed to prove there was a need for overseas talent, not bring in talent to be shopped to the highest (low) bidder.

We all know that most of the projects that have fallen behind are directly or partially the direct effect of this cheaper by the dozen philosophy. I know of three personally and I am a recent casualty of outsourcing.

I trained two h-1b’s for six months and they still couldn’t fix a simple parallelism conflict at the end of the training. I was working on it for them when I got the call to HR.

So how do we get organized? How do we make the people in Washington pay attention? How do we get the rest of the citizens to realize that they just haven’t gotten to them yet.

39. BY COGNIZANT says:

My Dear Americans/US Citizens,
    Why do we hire different Nationals….
    1) We can communicate what project needs.
    2) We can work after 5 PM… can you ?
    3) We can work during the week ends…Can you ??
    4) We can work during holiday season..Can you ???
    5) No overtime paid at Cognizant…Can you work without OT ????
    6) etc….goes on ….

Lot many reason why any corporate wants to offshore there IT..
    Cost
    Less tax
    Freedom

Save America !!!

• BY Harry Armen says:

Dear COGNIZANT.
      You have already bluffed your way through our Congress/Senate. Finally I don’t think none of American IT workers buy your highly exaggerated reasoning.
      THE BUCK STOPS RIGHT HERE.

• BY Unca Alby says:

Dear “Cognizant”:

1) But can you understand West Indian dialect? How much time do you waste having people repeat things three times? How much is that wasted time costing you?
      2) Americans work as long as it takes to get the job done, and very often put in far more hours than what we are paid for. It is a fact that Americans are the hardest working people in the world.
      3) see above
      4) see above
      5) see above
      6) see above.

Companies off-shore for short-term cost savings. They happily pay 2/3′s an American’s salary for half the productivity. But inevitable costs from poor productivity won’t be seen until NEXT year.

40. BY Alan says:

I wouldn’t call proponents of H-1b visas idiots. I would call them liars as the statistics to back that up would cause an elephant to barf. The H-1b reform act of 2004 attempted to protect US workers but has no enforcement provision and employers are able to lie through their teeth with impunity. Let’s see now, for 2014, there was a quota set of 60,000 new H-1b visa applications with an additional 20,000 for jobs that “require” advanced degrees as of April 1, 2013. By April 5, the quote was filled, i.e., over 80,000 applications had been filed within just a few days. These require a solid job offer that cannot begin until January 1, 2014, 8 months later. What type of “urgent high skill” job will allow a position to fester for so long? Every year for at least the past 10, the H-1b quota had been reached well before the start of the year with the exception of one year which took until the end of January of that year.

At the last job interview I went to, the very first question out of the interviewer’s mouth was what kind of salary I was looking for.

41. BY Jerome Thorson says:

Coburn isn’t looking hard enough or he is just lying. He must be an Obama supporter because Obama wants to open up the H1B visa floodgates.

42. BY Barry G says:

We have seen this time after time after time, over and over again!!

This is a very, very sore subject for American technical professionals. I ask all of you… This subject immediately raises our anger!! BUT… what has anyone done about it?!?!

NOTHING!! And it’s highly likely that NOTHING will continue to be done about it!!

Dice knows this topic is a hot potato. I’d imagine that any time the H1B subject is discussed, they get tons of these comments.

The issue will not go away, US companies will continue to hurt US tech pros, yet… continue to complain that there aren’t enough tech people coming out of out schools. Look at any major college or university in the US. What’s the breakdown for grads; Americans, Indians, Chinese? I’m guessing that at this stage, the number of American grads are lessening. The Chinese take their skills back to China. Either way, they’ll use these skills to compete against us. Now c’mon you American execs, do you want to give away our edge? You’re doing it every single day, and probably, it’s already way, way too late! You’re being paid millions of $$ for this??

43. BY John Smith says:

We are all in trouble. It’s also time for a revolution. We need to stop these companies from undercutting us Americans. Stop bringing in h1-b’s to our great country and undercutting the IT saleries now.

44. BY Fred Bosick says:

Editors and Executives of DICE:

Wake up! The comments to this article reflect *reality*. Too many hardworking people are losing their jobs in favor of offshored or H-1B workers, for no other reason than Corporate America is unwilling to pay IT professionals a commensurate salary.

And, implied in previous posts, *your* job is next.

“First, they came……”, Pastor Martin Niemöller.

45. BY Sunny says:

“The number of U.S. citizens who have applied for unemployment benefits soared by 68,000 in one week’s time, bringing the total to 368,000, …. ” – Washington times… wonder how many of them are IT workers..

46. BY AnsGlobal says:

Its a global thing now, businesses have opened up to various countries. It wasn’t so back in 80′s or 90′s. Rich companies from US and Europeans forced open the world markets. Economies like India opened up to the advantage of the big companies, who made billions and billions of dollars and gave back to their countries of origin.

So all of you whining about globalization and stuff are selfish people, who doesn’t want to compete. even with strong skillsets you can just belittle others to make yourself great. Stop complaining use your skills if you have, don’t expect freebies in this world. You will have to sacrifice something to get what you want. All Indians and others on visa like H1B too make some sacrifices.

Don’t you forget, Indians too have lost some of its best talents to giants like NASA and many other biggies. This has badly affected India too. So stop complaining access yourself and be a ‘Global Citizen’. Lets make the world better

• BY Steve K. says:

We are not whining about international competition. We are pointing out that international corporations are taking advantage of a law that is meant to benefit everyone and using it to control manpower costs at the cost of US IT workers. And the Indians are taking advantage of it without paying the dues.

But let’s point out a cultural issue here. Last weekend the Travel channel had a program about Delhi driving or lack thereof. No one over there looks in the rear view mirror, they just go where they want to go and the guy behind them has to fend for himself. You fail your driver test if you look behind you before you change lanes. That is, if you bother to get a driving test, it is easier to just bribe the clerk to get your license. They prefer it that way, there is less work involved. (Their words, not mine). That is the Indian manner of doing things. I ordered something from the internet and received a counterfeit from an Indian company. I complained and was ignored, and told, what did I expect at that price. However, a couple months later, I received a request for a recommendation and did I want more. No rear view mirror for them.

If the Indians had to compete on a level playing field against US IT, you wouldn’t look very good.

47. BY Just Wondering says:

This is a heart wrenching topic. I have been on both sides of the aisle. When I was younger, I thanked my stars that I came to this country on an H1-B, found employment and was given the opportunity to settle down in this country. My kids were born here and now we are all US Citizens. This Country has given me so much, but now the shoe is on the other foot!!

Now I am older, and I can see how it feels like from the other side. Younger H1-B’s now can compete with my skills at fraction of my wages. I on the other hand need a certain sustaining wage for financial security of my family. I have certain advantages compared to them, like communication skills, and experience, but they are exposed to newer technology, are willing to work for less and are willing to work much harder and longer.

I ask myself, who’s responsibility is it to take care of my financial security? Is the company I work for obligated to pay higher wages if it can find similar work at lower wages elsewhere?

Then there is the question of all the American things, other countries buy. American cars, planes, pharmaceuticals, etc. If companies like India, China and others started insisting on “only buying planes made with Indian or Chinese workers” what would happen to the American working for Boeing in Seattle?

I don’t have any good answers. I know what I want. I want a huge tax on foreign workers so that they are not able to compete anymore, so that my job is protected and the financial security of my family is assured. Specially since now I am on the other side. That is what I want.

But then I think, if everybody did that, what would happen to the good jobs held by my fellow American citizens in export oriented industries, or how much an Iphone or TV would cost me if Apple and Samsung were forced to only make these things using not just American wages, but unionized American wages.

As a consumer of the IPhone and Samsung TV, is it fair to ask me to pay higher costs for these so that a fellow American can have a decent living wage in this country? Maybe it is. I don’t know.

Either way, there are going to be winners and losers and the stories from both sides are sad to hear.

Anyway, just my two cents.