More Tech Workers Will Relocate for Jobs

Percentages of Job Seekers Relocating

The need to relocate isn’t nearly the obstacle it once was when it comes to accepting a new job, according to outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas. In fact, the number of people willing to pack up and move soared during the first half of the year, reaching levels not seen since the beginning of the Great Recession.

Overall, the percentage of unemployed managers and executives who relocated rose to 14 percent, more than double the 6.7 percent who moved during the same period last year, a survey by the company found. Although specific data on technology workers wasn’t available, company CEO John Challenger says they are likely a part of the trend, though not with the same momentum.

“Although it’s harder to get people to move in tech, companies are becoming more aggressive in their offers, so there is a push and pull,” Challenger explains. “There may be job seekers in tech who are more willing to move now because their homes aren’t under water and they could sell them at a profit and not a loss.”

That appears to be the case in Silicon Valley, says David Chie, President of Palo Alto Staffing Technology. Chie has noticed that junior IT workers are more apt than they’ve previously been to pull up stakes and move to Silicon Valley, and that veterans are increasingly willing to move away from the area.

Comments

1. BY jelabarre says:

Interesting, because I keep telling recruiters (sometimes on a daily basis for certain brain-dead recruiters) I am not able to relocate, yet they keep sending me jobs for the far side of the country. By the time we settle our grandmother’s old estate and I don’t have projects that require my physical presence here in the severely economically depressed Hudson Valley, my daughter will have established herself in school, and I *still* won’t be moving. And since any company that *can* leave NY State has already done so, there isn’t much left.

• BY Nightcrawler says:

I would love to move. I would especially love to move back to Southern California, or another area where I would never have to deal with snow ever again. My house is not underwater, though it would not sell in the current market. The people across the street moved last year, and their house has been for sale ever since; in a couple of weeks, it will officially reach the one-year mark of being listed.

However, I have zero money. I cannot afford to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to attend an interview. I cannot afford to make the repairs to my home that I would need to make in order to rent it out. I cannot afford to come up with first and last, plus a security deposit, on a rental (which would be difficult to obtain because I have pets who I refuse to kill to satisfy a landlord). And I cannot afford to move my family and possessions. There is simply NO MONEY to do any of these things, nor are there any credit cards to do any of these things.

It is beyond frustrating that so many people think that moving across the country is as easy as moving your car from the front of your house to the back, that it requires nothing more than packing a suitcase, throwing it in the back of your car, and then driving off into the sunset. Even for a kid who owns nothing more than clothing, a laptop, and maybe a futon, it’s not that simple; the kid would still have to come up with several thousand dollars to put down on an apartment (that’s not counting furnishing it, even sparsely), and possibly several hundred dollars for gas.

2. BY boycott says:

offshoring their IT staff ??? then I’ll take my business elsewhere.

• BY JELaBarre says:

I’ve long suspected the vast majority of the “please relocate for this job” emails are nothing more than a scam to bring in more H1B’s. The employers really have no intention of hiring someone already here, but due to regulatory requirements have to show that they “tried” to find someone here to fill the job. Once they’ve done that they can just bring in an H1B. So the recruiters obligingly bulk-mail “job leads” to anyone who is noplace near where the job is; obviously I’ve been labeled a usable victim for their fraudulent activity. I expect there’s some poor schmuck in Silicon Valley getting daily emails for jobs in Poughkeepsie NY and Danbury CT. Becomes a serious waste of my time, since I still need to keep my own list to find which ones are repeat offenders (and some I have already turned in to their local BBB).

• BY NavyDoc says:

I too am subjected to the long distance “You’re our best candidate” then nothing. Somewhat frustrating knowing that they are simply checking a box on a regulatory form.

3. BY jelabarre says:

> ….reaching levels not seen since the beginning of the Great Recession.

Come on, folks, we shouldn’t mince words. We’re in an economic *DEPRESSION*, and no amount of mealy-mouthed platitudes and press releases from our government is going to change that.

4. BY Nightcrawler says:

I agree with the poster who pointed out that this is not a recession; it is a DEPRESSION, and we are nowhere near the end of it. This could go on for years, if not decades.

Frankly, I don’t know where these people are getting the money to move. Despite what the “just move” peanut gallery believes, moving is not FREE, and long-distance moving costs a lot of money. This does not even count the enormous amount of money needed to fly hundreds or thousands of miles away, get a hotel room, rent a car, and pay other expenses just to go on an interview.

The only explanation I can come up with is that these people don’t have money; they simply have room left on their credit cards. When their credit limits are all maxed out, they will not be so willing to move.