Tech Workers Say These Are the Best Job Markets

Techonomics States With Favorable Job Opportunities

The best places to find a tech job aren’t necessarily the big markets most people associate with IT. Georgia, Utah, Delaware and Minnesota lead the list of areas where the job outlook is strong, according to the people who should know best — the tech professionals who live there.

When Dice asked more than 15,000 employed IT professionals about how confident they were in finding a good new position this year, the most optimistic people were those working in these states.

In Georgia, 72 percent liked their prospects. And indeed hiring and pay have been on the rise there, especially in Atlanta. The same proportion of tech workers in Utah felt good about the local job scene. It probably helps that more VCs have been taking notice of the state’s technology sector.

How do you feel about your area? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

1. BY SMac says:

I agree.

Although my main residence is in Omaha, I have found that there are a lot more job prospects in Minnesota than Omaha.

Since I work on IBM platforms, this might have a lot to do with it. There are a huge number of IBM shops in Minnesota, and I have had little or no trouble finding work. The only issue I have is that few contracts are more than 90 or 120 days.

2. BY Chris says:

Minnesota does have a very strong IT job outlook. Many of the failed Silicon Valley dot coms brought a lot of good ideas and start ups back to the midwest and other states.

3. BY Ben C. Svrcek says:

I noticed this is the job outlook for IT / software here in Texas and other states. What about electrical / electronics engineers? I’m currently seeking employment and have found a plethora of IT / software positions but there seems to be a real dearth any other “Tech” positions, even for contractors. Most of my type of jobs seem to have been sent overseas. This seems to apply to other engineering disciplines too but I can’t say for certain about those.

• BY Dan says:

If you’re looking for electrical/electronics engineering jobs, which it comes to that portion of IT, check out Utah, if you’re willing to move :) Huge market for it here

4. BY Steve says:

I guess Minnesota was too cold to highlight in yellow.

5. BY Phil says:

Washington D.C. is not a state.