Tech Employers See More Hiring, At Slower Rates

Source: Dice.com

Source: Dice.com

Hiring managers and recruiters expect tech hiring to rise in 2013, with 64 percent of those surveyed by Dice planning to increase their ranks next year. To break it down, 43 percent see themselves doing “slightly” more hiring while 21 percent predict doing “substantially” more.

While those numbers look encouraging, they’re not as strong as they were six months ago. In May, 73 percent said they planned to increase hiring, 55 percent slightly and 18 percent substantially.

The respondents also say that it’s becoming more difficult to find the candidates they want. Some 55 percent report their time to hire has lengthened from 2011. And it’s not just because they’re being picky: More candidates are rejecting their offers.

Source: Dice.com

Source: Dice.com

Indeed, candidates have become more demanding. More than half of the survey’s respondents–53 percent–said candidates want higher salaries than they did six months ago. On top of that, more companies are making counteroffers.

Source: Dice.com

Source: Dice.com

Comments

1. BY RobS says:

Not surprising that people are asking for higher salaries. We’ve been so lowballed lately that it seems that workers are finally fighting back. You simply can’t live the lifestyle you’re used to when they offer you 20% lower salary that you had 10 years ago, especially since the cost of everything around us seems to have risen sharply.

• BY The Heretic says:

Exactly, Robs. We have had two decades of relative wage stagnation and the loss of purchasing power put us in a depression. Once you understand that, it is easy to see the way out; increase purchasing power. Hello inflation.

We tend to think about inflation form the supply side (price theory), but demand driven inflation moves much faster.

Wages are relative and quite deceptive. Are you truly better off then a year ago? Or are making more money while it is about the same?

2. BY James says:

See it’s real funny looking at this as an ex comP sci grad walking out the out door instead of the in door. Sad as it is you kinda got to accept this as the end of the hobby.

3. BY stevetabler says:

I would be satisfied with being paid enough to pay for utilities. Sadly, I can’t get paid a anything, and I have to rely on handouts from my elderly mother, who only has a monthly social security check.

One job interview for a telelmarketing pool asked me “what was my favorite call-center software? and “Why do I aspire to be a call-center worker?” Absolute rubbish.

• BY Eric says:

Sorry, this wasn’t clear to me, are the questions rubbish because you’re being asked call center questions when interviewing for a telemarketing job?

• BY stevetabler says:

In re-reading my comment, I’d say that the ‘rubbish’ word was more of an emotional explative on my part, added for a dramatic effect.

4. BY Eric says:

Kind of a supporting point to this article: The silicon valley area company I work for hired lots of people and acquired a few companies in 2012. It’s 2013 plan pretty much freezes hiring in the first half of the year. In this case it makes business sense to get everyone settled and understanding actual productive output with the current employees before adding more.