How to Land a Job at CSC

CSC Falls Church HeadquartersCSC, the global technology consultant based in Falls Church, Va., has about 1,600 available positions in the U.S. They span all aspects and levels of IT and development and include 200 positions for application, Web and mobile development.

With more than 95,000 employees working in some 70 countries, the company is in the midst of transitioning from a traditional public-service contractor to a more dynamic private-sector tech solutions provider.

“While we’ve done lots of consulting in both the private and public sectors in the past, we’re now providing more infrastructure services than ever,” Neal Hardin, CSC’s director of Global Talent Acquisition, told Dice News. “To do that, we’re looking for energetic people and especially client-facing people who bring deep relationships with them.”

The company has positions open for administrators and engineers in networking, systems and servers. Because CSC does much defense and government work, “we’re always looking for people with clearances,” Hardin says. Some positions offer employees the chance to earn a clearance while on the job.

Part of CSC’s transition is a new focus on what Hardin calls “the next generation of infrastructure,” meaning cloud, big data and business analytics. “We’re making a big push in all three areas,” he says. CSC’s sales and account execs also tend to be tech-savvy, he notes, so a sales track is a different, but interesting route, that tech experts can take within the company.

How to Impress CSC

When reading a resume or meeting a candidate in person, Hardin focuses on one important criterion: “Make sure you articulate the skills you’ve developed. If the available position is for ASP.NET, talk about the things you’ve done in ASP.NET. Tell me about the projects you’ve completed and what you’ve implemented.”

In other words, give him some insight, “not just a bullet point that you have that skill.” He hastens to add that he doesn’t need “a full-blown novel,” just something that shows that you not only have the skill set he’s looking for, but have used it successfully.

“We work in a team environment, and that’s somewhat new for us,” says Hardin.” I really need to hear candidates articulate how they can work– and how they have worked — in that kind of environment. Now that we’re doing what IBM and Accenture do, teamwork is critical.” Hardin likes “big picture” thinkers who can envision a solution from start to finish and make the plan to get it done or, as he puts it, “solution it all together.”

General Advice

Given his view of the job market, we asked Hardin for his overall advice to tech professionals on how to effectively approach their search.

If you’ve got years of experience under your belt, Hardin observes that you have to take responsibility for your own future. “I have a friend who’s a Unix admin, and he’s going back to school to learn SAP as we speak,” he says. “One thing that has helped him out is networking events and user groups. It’s heartbreaking what has happened in the economy over the past few years. Hopefully it won’t last much longer.”

For new college graduates, Hardin says industry-focused job fairs are important. CSC often attends two or three per week. Also, he recommends keeping an open mind about developing your skill set. “Don’t pigeonhole yourself. You’ll always gravitate toward one skill set or another, but try to get a full bench,” he says. “That’s something that makes you invaluable in the marketplace. I get that you can specialize and make a certain amount of money, but when that area dries up, you hurt. Try to keep your skills as broad as you can.”

Comments

1. BY Larry Dennis says:

I worked there. Might be a good place to start, but wouldn’t stay there for longer than necessary.

2. BY Ronald Schwarz says:

Can CSC use technical writers who telecommute?

• BY Bob says:

I doubt it. They are looking for traveling, client facing, consultants from what I can tell

• BY Ronald Schwarz says:

I worked at CSC in Virginia 1980-1984 as a Computer Scientist. Now I am a technical writer. Can they use me with my current talents?

3. BY Arlene Sheldon says:

CSC is ruthless in trying to steal work (billing hours) from other contractors. They asked me to train one of their employees to do a Lotus Notes task, then told me that it wouldn’t be necessary for me to do that task any more because they have an employee who can do that task. Yeah, after I trained the person.

4. BY Raj says:

…… company to work. Insurance costs are very high, no one is happy about it.. I was in a company for 8 years and once csc acquired it, people started to quit and after 2 years I also quit…

I totally agree on Larry Dennis…

5. BY KC says:

Easier said than done. How do you get to work in another area without the skill set? even if you get the training who is willing to let you get your feet wet to gain the experience?

6. BY George Popescu says:

Why do all these articles and interviews sound alike? All this HR “advice” is sooo garbage. For entry- to mid-level positions, it’s a numbers game and it also takes some good luck. For higher positions, it’s mostly networking and who you know.

7. BY DM says:

He’s stating the exact opposite in the end of his spiel from the beginning…

“If the available position is for ASP.NET, talk about the things you’ve done in ASP.NET. Tell me about the projects you’ve completed and what you’ve implemented.”

“He also suggests an “opposites approach.” If your current company is an Oracle shop, for example, learn something about SAP, and vice versa. Always know what the other solutions are.”

So, I walk into a CSC interview and say “I’ve been an Oracle admin for 12 years. Over the last 4 I’ve been learning SAP”

What has typically been the response? “But you have no ACTUAL experience doing SAP…”

I applied at CSC for a position that I had been doing before I was let go for “Outsourcing”. They told me I wasn’t qualified, since all of the exact qualifications they were looking for weren’t on my resume. Qualifications that were not even part of the actual job. Take this for what it is: HR speak to remind people that CSC is hiring.

8. BY Mike says:

Only out of desperation would I work there…

9. BY Steve G says:

I would avoid CSC as their new health insurance is astronomical in price. It is essentially Obamacare…..the more you make the more you pay for insurance.

10. BY Techdiva says:

I don’t understand it. Companies like CSC have hundreds of jobs open but I rarely see them being filled. I interviewed with CSC for about five different positions. The interviews were a waste of time where I wasn’t asked a single relevant question. The recruiter didn’t understand it either. They spent more time trying to talk me out of the job than actually interviewing me.

11. BY Kevin says:

I’ve been with CSC for over 3 years. There are ups and downs just like any other company. The new healthcare plans aren’t the greatest, but they try to offset it with a bunch of wellness incentives, so itll probably cost me roughly the same as this year. Also, the difference in price between the pay tiers mentioned above is not all that significant. Anyways, upsides: they have a lot of positions that allow telecommuting. They have a lot of clients and roles that cover every type of position you might be interested in, and it’s easier to scale up the ladder in that situation. It also means more job security because if your current account goes away, there are plenty of other positions to transfer into. Downsides: you may get offered less than the same position might fetch at another company, because they’re an outsourcing firm, but it also depends on the role you’re filling. The experience can drastically change from account to account. You might love the environment, but hate the people on one account, but then the exact opposite on your next account. At the end of the day, though, the job is what you make of it. Good luck to those still in the hunt.

• BY Nick says:

I worked at CSC and traveled 100% for 6 years straight. 6 days a week away from home every week. It was rough. But besides that, it was a great job.

12. BY Eric W says:

I like that they want you to elaborate on your skill sets. People love to decorate their resumes with skills but do they really know them? I appreciate this mostly because i’ve seen some outrageous claims on resume’s: 3 years of IT experience but has worked in Java, C++, Python, .NET, developed on MAC, PC, Unix, SAS. Keywords copy and pasted from the net. I wish all companies asked this question.

13. BY Steve says:

I tend to agree with the most of the sentiments already mentioned here re working at CSC. I worked there for four years. Political maneuvering, aka “games” is HUGE there because the government says “jump” and they must say “how high?. If you don’t play and have a conscience about doing the right thing, you won’t last. I was “downsized” and how never been happier. I’ve been in IT for 25 years – CSC was the worst. Avoid them like the plague.

14. BY Eric says:

I believe the point of the ‘opposites approach’ is to show you understand more than just one thing. It shows you have taken time to look outside of the box.

If you mentioned (and backed up) that you had 12 years of Oracle admin experience and X years of learning SAP, a more useful interview response is “Why are you studying SAP?” It would hopefully lead to answers which explain your motivation. Or show your curiosity. [ It may seem like it, but interviewers are not looking to trip you up, they want to uncover what you are best at. Ok, they also will want you to back up what is on your resume, but if you are weak at what is on your resume, then why is it there? ]

“Always know what the other solutions are.”

Remember, CSC is a solutions company. They are not tied to a particular technology. Given a problem where the customer says they want ABC for their problem, but it doesn’t quite fit and you see that a competitors product DEF has a better fit. How would you know if you didn’t learn some thing about DEF? It’s about what he’s looking for to satisfy what CSC needs.