Cover Letters Don’t Matter? Oh, Yes They Do

Yes, cover letters are still important, no matter what some people say. Here’s why and how they make all the difference to your job search.

Comments

1. BY feumar says:

Mind typing what you have to say? Should be easier and more useful than making a video, surely?
    For me, videos are for entertainment, not for information.

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Hi feumar. Thanks for your comment. We post the videos because a lot of people like to get their information that way, as well as through text. Nowadays, a lot of people consider them both entertainment and information, and we want to make ours accessible to everyone.

Best,

Mark

• BY Mike says:

I too prefer the written word. Video is for the Sesame Street/MTV generation.

• BY ronaldpierce says:

If you want to make your information accessible to everyone, as you claim, you would include the text of what you have to say in addition to the video.

I don’t see the text anywhere. Rather ironic considering you’re advocating cover letters (text) but not putting your information out except as a video.

2. BY tharisi says:

I love your videos they are short but very informative. Keep them coming!

3. BY JohnD says:

From what I’ve read the people that read over resume spend a few seconds scanning the numerous resumes they receive for a position, with that in mind why bother with the cover letter its ridiculous anyways.

4. BY Mary says:

Yes, please write it out, I can’t watch videos at the office!

5. BY iD Tech Camps says:

I was thinking the same thing Mike. The video is a nice touch but I would rather word format.

6. BY Rob S says:

Until I read the comments below, I had no idea that there even WAS a video to watch. I thought that there was a missing link to the text and moved on…message lost; reputation lost.
    Further, I didn’t read the comments until a week later when I saw another post that also did not indicate that there was a video to click on to get the message. So message almost lost AGAIN!

To me, this was a very sloppy way to get a message across. Nothing wrong with a video, but if your audience doesn’t know it’s there because you failed to mention it, then why would I trust your message in the video?

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Hi Rob – Could you let me know what browser you’re using? Or mobile device? No one’s ever reported this particular issue before, and I’ll look into it. Thanks.

• BY Rob S says:

I was using XP on a laptop with Chrome browser…nothing special. The problem is that the picture next to the post simply looked like a static picture.
        I later realized that I could click it when I hovered my mouse over it but it looked like I’d simply get a resume of the person in the picture, not a video story, so I never bothered.
        Basically, if you want someone to click on a video to get a story, you should state that in the text somewhere because a text story is what led me there in the first place so, as with others, I was expecting to get a text followup.

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Ah, I think I see. It sounds like you were looking on the menu page. If that’s the case, I always thought the “DiceTV” added to the image was enough of a prompt about the video. I’ll work on figuring out something better. Thanks for pointing it out.

• BY Rob S says:

I guess that assumes I knew what DiceTV was. It makes sense now but I’m so bombarded with things these days*, that I need more explicit instructions.

* as indicated elsewhere, there’s new things to learn every week in this industry so it’s hard to keep up; any clue along the way will help you get noticed, just like clues in a resume.

7. BY Rob S says:

back to the message…

Why are you adding people’s quotes in your resume? I think that’s a job for the cover letter.
    Also, how do you handle sending cover letters through websites that only want resumes? It seems that when going electronic, all of the old rules go out the window. With electronic automated review, the formatting becomes not only useless but often a detriment. I wish there was a way to send an e-resume to the computer and a formatted one to the person, but that’s not practical (and yes, it helps that most automated review tools now ignore formatting rather than getting confused by it.)

So how do we create a great resume for a e-submission that doesn’t allow cover letters to clarify how skills were used?

8. BY tkjoffs says:

Agreed. Even the most ignorant of media outlets, FOX News, puts the text under video so those of us that don’t care to waste our time listening some someone talk when we can read faster, can. It would also help in the event that your viewers did not have speakers, or are deaf?

9. BY tkjoffs says:

Where is the text? All your articles seem to be nothing but video? Funny, but I would not consider this an article…

10. BY Richard Morgan says:

I got so tired of the useless noises made by Windows that I don’t even have speakers on my PC. As a result, your video was also useless to me.

For the people who couldn’t open the video, before you write off a web page as useless, the first thing that you should do is run your mouse pointer around the screen and search for places where the mouse pointer changes from an arrow to a hand. That’s a sign that there’s a link there and you should click on it to see what it is. It’s now quite common for web pages to not have an explanation that the link is there. I can’t believe there are still people out there who haven’t figured this out by themselves.

11. BY AmyInNH says:

This seems to have a lot about resumes, I’m surprised its got a coverletter only title on this. Very nice work.