Job Growth Soars for Software Systems Developers

Software developers are on track to see job growth that far outstrips the national average for all occupations going into 2020. Things are looking especially sweet if you’re a software systems developer, though app  developers aren’t too far behind.

Check out these stats that size up  opportunities for software developers in a couple of categories, verses that of the overall employment outlook.

Software Developers Chart

Driving the increased demand for software systems developers is exploding growth in the healthcare industry, notes the report, from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It’s easy to see why, as hospitals, medical groups and the like race to meet various deadlines for implementing the federal mandate for electronic medical records over the next couple of years.

And with consumers going gaga over mobile devices, or more so the bevvy of cool apps they can load onto them, it’s not surprising to see the nearly 30 percent growth in app developer jobs over the next eight years.

Other Factoids To Chew On

The BLS offers up other interesting facts regarding software developers:

• 2010 Median Pay: $90,530 per year, $43.52 per hour
  • Entry-Level Education: Bachelor’s degree
  • Work Experience in a Related Occupation: None
  • On-the-job Training: None
  • Number of Jobs, 2010: 913,100
  • Job Outlook, 2010-20: 30 percent (Much faster than average)
  • Employment Change, 2010-20: 270,900

That looks pretty darn good!

Related Links

Comments

1. BY James Green says:

The question is will qualified Americans be hired for these positions.

• BY DK says:

While the US economy may appear growing slowly but there are always pockets of growth. No industry or same skill set continuously stays hot or in demand. Even in IT people have keep adapting to quickly changing technology. If you have 10 years of experience and are very rigid not willing to dive into or exlpore into other areas of IT or technology then you get left behind. You have to keep retooling yourself. US economy from that perspective is very dynamic economy. There is lot of innovation going on and technology rapidly changes to help bring costs down and boost productivity. No where in the world you will see changes at such rapid pace. The qualified Americans should be now be globally mobile and competent. There is shortage of good IT talent in other parts of the world as well. Salaries are catching up across the board.

2. BY Proud Paulbot says:

I shouldn’t read things like this. I feel nauseous when I do. These types of statistics–in particular the one about the high pay–is why I went into unspeakable debt to get a tech degree. I knew I wasn’t going to make 90 grand right out of university. I didn’t even expect to make $40k. But come to find out, I can’t even obtain an entry-level position at minimum wage, because of this:

—–On-the-job Training: None——–

Employers don’t want to invest a penny in their workers anymore. They claim they should somehow train themselves, even though most of these skills cannot be obtained by sitting at home going through tutorials. They need to be learned in a job setting (and the employee needs an income while they learn; someone who has to spend every moment of their day chasing their next buck doesn’t have time to go through tutorials).

We’re tossing away the best and brightest in this country as if they’re garbage. Everything that made this country innovative and exceptional is being thrown out.

The individual who invents a time machine will be my hero. I want to go back and stop myself from attending college.

• BY JustinLReid says:

Paulbot I can definitely see where you are coming from and it is truly a shame. Thank God my college had an environmental data center located on campus or I would be in the exact same boat as you are (and I’m close to it anyway!) What’s really horrible is that even FOSS jobs require on the job experience and I wouldn’t invest my time or money on a degree that doesn’t give me the experience/training to be competitive. The economy has made the “job search” more like a self-fulfilling prophecy that those who are without work are destined to never find it.

Sure there are plenty of tech jobs out there, for those who already have a tech position. Though I believe I have the experience to enter into the marketplace, the true picture is way less rosy than what the headlines say.

3. BY Joe says:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Right now there is an extreme shortage of Developer jobs.

4. BY Jonas says:

I was reading the other day a newspaper article showing host cruel it is this software development area. Initially one thinks the salaries are pretty attractive. As individuals age and gain more experience, employers know young folks will usually deliver more hard work and longer hours for a low salary. Since programmers have no profession regulated by bodies like civil engineering, law or medicine, any bozo with any degree can be a programmer… well the result is that now you have employers who love people working long hours and that is where Americans take a hit and end up losing to foreign workers. Foreign workers come hungry to work long hours, weekends, etc you name it for the same salary.

5. BY RMS says:

Median, or mean? There is a difference.

With what tools must the hopeful candidate be proficient in order to secure one of these positions? Are those tools being taught in school(s)? Can they be learned @ CodeCademy etc.? Or will the prospective employees be poached?

• BY Proud Paulbot says:

They must be poaching them. I just cannot imagine someone sitting at home and fully training themselves for a position like this. Online tutorials can only teach the bare-bones basics, enough to write “Hello World” or a simple fizz-buzz program.

The way someone achieves complete fluency in a language, and especially multiple languages, is by using it eight hours a day, every single day, in a job setting.

I remember when I learned how to type. When I emerged from a typing program, I could type only 40-50 wpm. Within a year of typing heavily every day in a job setting, I was at 100 wpm, which is considered extraordinarily fast. There’s no way I would have gotten that fast outside of a job setting.

• BY RMS says:

I believe the only method of obtaining complete fluency with a language/tool is to use, extensively, all aspects of the language. I wonder how many “coders” ,or whatever term you use, come even close to deep knowledge of the language(s) with which they work?

6. BY John says:

Too many hard-working American IT professionals (American consumers which corporations simply don’t really need anymore) who have been gainfully employed until the depression hit now have large “gaps” and unable to transition, re-educate, or “re-tool” themselves. Outsourcing is still booming (risks to personal & consumer data & innovation are of no concern to corporations) quickly being replaced with automation as well.

Also “Idle hands are the Devil’s workshop.” I’ve seen a number of IT colleagues working in cash-only ‘questionable professions’ (including adult entertainment) just to try and make ends meet! Not something many want to address or is reported on in the news.

I’ve been reading Martin Ford’s “The Lights in the Tunnel” and his blog at -

econfuture dot wordpress dot com

which is making increasingly more sense about this very dire situation.