A Note on Posts and Comments

Happy Group of FourEvery once in a while, it’s good to point out the community guidelines for posting comments on our blogs or discussion boards. The guidelines are meant to make sure our conversations are courteous and on-point. You can read them here.

As the primary moderator for the blogs, I read every comment with the assumption that it’s OK to post. When I’m unsure about something, I look to the guidelines. Many of them are obvious: be courteous, don’t harass people, don’t say or link to anything that’s obscene, don’t spam, don’t violate laws.

Others are subject to interpretation. Since interpreting always involves subjective judgment, I figured I’d clarify how I read the guidelines so people can understand why some comments may be edited or declined.

Stay on Topic

“On topic” means please make comments that address the subject of the post. Advice about a job interview isn’t about outsourcing, for example. A need for 30 project managers in Palo Alto isn’t an invitation to riff about how big companies are conspiring to keep all tech salaries low.

On the other hand, that story IS an invitation to argue that companies may have trouble finding PMs because they’re not paying enough. Or, that they’re behind the times because they care more about waterfalls than Agile. We don’t want only happy opinions — we just want comments to fit with the story.

If you want to discuss something that’s unrelated to the post, you can go and start a thread on our discussion boards.

Be Respectful

Similarly, if you don’t like advice we give or conclusions we draw, feel free to argue. But, we will delete comments that insult people, whether they’re authors or other commenters. Our editorial staff and bloggers aren’t shills and we don’t make stuff up. Readers and other commentators aren’t ignorant or rooting for the downfall of America.

If you can’t make your point in a respectful way, please don’t bother to post them. And, we will ban any users who violate the guidelines regularly. Again, you can read them here.

If you’ve got thoughts or suggestions, feel free to send them to editor@dice.com. Or, of course, you can post a comment below.

Comments

1. BY James Green says:

Why have comments section? I could understand censoring obscene language but what your talking about is censorship of ideals. My opinions , like those who blog dice, are based of what I read and what have experienced first hand. So I re-iterate what point of having a comments section.

2. BY Fred Bosick says:

I think some of the controversy and tension is the result of some people seeing the high level view, the executive summary, if you will.. While others see their immediate environment and come to different conclusions. And the occasional talking past each other brings to mind the joke about the guy in a balloon asking for directions.

Another joke ends with, “It is strong and promotes growth.”

• BY Proud Paulbot says:

I think a lot of it has to do with the increasing desperation as unemployment, and long-term unemployment in particular, rises. Notice that, when unemployment was not at 20%–and it is around 20% when counting the mal-employed and people who are not eligible for UI benefits–there was little discussion of things like the “wealth gap.” If you’re making enough money to support yourself and your family, you don’t care how much others earn.

Millions of Americans have lost hope that things will ever get better. I cannot blame them. I, too, have lost hope. Used to be, a solid work ethic was all one needed to get ahead in America. That doesn’t matter anymore.

It is difficult for people who have jobs to understand just how quickly a life can unravel when, suddenly, someone no longer has a job and cannot find another one.

3. BY Joe says:

You should allow job seeking guest writers. Ones with real life experience, the workers that are seeing a severe jobs shortage. The highly educated, highly skilled, highly qualified workers whom are fighting an extreme jobs shortage everyday.

4. BY Thad says:

What did you expect? You work at a jobs posting site that attracts millions of unemployed tech workers desperately trying to find work. You then proceed to post articles on this same site about a supposed extreme worker shortage and insinuate that anyone that can’t find a job is an idiot.

You shouldn’t be surprised when you get some negative comments in the feedback section. Agree?

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Thad, I actually don’t know where you’re coming from. Nothing in my post says you can’t be negative, and nothing says you shouldn’t disagree with us. All my post says is please be on-topic, and please be courteous. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Mark