WordPress Could Be The Way For You to Show Off

Wordpress LogoWordPress has quickly become one of the most popular blog platforms around, if not the most popular. It’s currently being used by 49 percent of the top 100 blogs in the world, an increase from 32 percent three years ago.

This is good to know if you’re considering a blog of your own, which can be an effective way to show off your technical and business chops.

How does WordPress stack up against Google+ for blogging? Tell us in the comments below.

I’ve been a WordPress self-hosted user for three years running. Some criticism of WordPress I’ve heard is that it’s for newbies or it’s vulnerable. Since I’ve had a WordPress frame injection twice, I agree with both sentiments. Yet if you know how to install it and perform some tweaks with the platform, you can alleviate any problems. And yes, WordPress is easy to use.

For instance, if your site is running slow or it’s loading objects from a suspicious address, you should view the HTTP request and response header to see if an iframe or encoded string was injected into your theme files. I recommend using the Sucuri SiteCheck tool, which can tell you in a matter of seconds if your site is infected and the theme files that have been hacked. From this you can easily access your files via FTP or Cpanel and delete the lines that were injected.

WordPress can be customized easily. You just have to have a little PHP, HTML and CSS knowledge and you can modify your theme files without any problem. Some even create spectacular themes on their own, making it difficult to tell if their site is based on WordPress or another platform.

Would I recommend it?

If you’re making your first foray into blogging, WordPress is the perfect self-hosted platform. In most cases WordPress can be easily installed from Cpanel, but you can also upload its source via FTP and then follow the instructions to install it.

Of course, you can always hire a developer to help build your self-hosted custom-made blog platform. But until you’re ready for that, I suggest trying WordPress.

Comments

1. I suggest hiring a good WordPress theme developer to customize your WordPress site {disclosure: I develop WordPress sites & really enjoy the work}. There are a lot options for set up as well as plugins to customize the front and backend. WordPress has come a long way since its early days.

2. BY Proud Paulbot says:

I disagree that creating your own WP themes requires only a “little” HTML, CSS and PHP. I have a “little” of all of those things, but that’s nowhere near enough to build my own theme. You need to be fluent in all of those languages.

In addition, you need graphic arts ability.

The only way I was able to create my own theme was by using Artisteer. Unfortunately, that program has its limitations; I was never able to get the look I wanted.

• It’s true, you need more than just a little experience with these languages to develop a custom theme. However, you can start with a very good base theme and customize while knowing a little. Woothemes and Themify.me both have excellent themes that are accessible to web developers and regular technophiles alike.

• BY RMS says:

Let us assume you hack the code to customize the theme, even a wee bit. I should think if you ever install a new version of WP the changes you made might be at risk. Or am I mistaken?

3. BY RMS says:

How much is “a little PHP, HTML and CSS knowledge”?

• I don’t know how much Andrei considers ‘a little’ php/html/css knowledge… If you install from your hosting control panel via Fantastico or Scriptalicious installer you won’t need any php knowledge.

With WordPress, design is separated from content. Changes to your theme will not affect the contents of your site since this information is stored in a database. Updates to the WordPress core are done with a button click from the admin dashboard. You will be updating as new releases are available.

• BY Proud Paulbot says:

Yes, once a site is set up, it is not difficult to maintain.

I actually found installing the various plugins and setting options to be easy. It was the “design your own theme” part that wasn’t easy, and that required way more than “a little” of those languages (especially PHP). Not to mention graphic arts ability. I can resize and crop pictures; that’s about it. I don’t know a darned thing about creating custom graphics from scratch using Adobe Creative Suite.

WordPress designers charge a lot of money for good reason. They’ll give you the exact look you want.

4. BY Andrei C. says:

No one said it’s easy to create your own WP theme.
    If you read the article, you’ll find out that “WordPress can be customized easily. You just have to have a little PHP, HTML and CSS knowledge and you can modify your theme files without any problem.”
    The differences between creating and customizing something are big.
    to customize = to modify or build according to individual or personal specifications or preference.
    to create = to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes.
    And yes, I really find it very easy to customize a wordpress theme(free or purchased) with your own requirements. A beginner’s level of php, html and css should be enough.
    I hope you all understand now.

5. BY Steve says:

Man I really gotta thankyou for – Sucuri SiteCheck tool
    What an absolutely awesome tool. A little heavy on the price & out of my league for the paid version, but the free scan was brilliant !

Thanks Again