Windows 8: Let the Griping Begin

Windows 8 running on a MacBook AirMicrosoft’s Windows 8 has yet to be released, but ITworld’s Sandro Villinger has been exploring since the Windows Developer Preview came out in September. He has some gripes, 10 to be exact.

He writes, “I’ve jumped into Windows 8 with both feet. I installed it on all my machines, put all my important files on it and made it my day-to-day work operating system. Of course, being both a major step forward and a very early (pre-beta) release, I ran into some issues. The following list shows the top 10 annoyances that other early adopters and I have experienced with Windows 8, as well as some explanations, solutions, and workarounds.”

• 1. The new Metro-style Start screen, which dumbs down the entire experience.
  • 2. You can’t close apps, which will really bother pro users.
  • 3. The green Start screen can’t be changed.
  • 4. It’s almost impossible to figure out how to shut Win 8 down.
  • 5. Side-by-side multitasking doesn’t work.
  • 6. Running Windows 8 in a virtual environment doesn’t really work.
  • 7. Metro apps don’t work anymore.
  • 8. Windows 8 requires a product key, which is silly for a pre-beta release.
  • 9. .NET Framework 3.5 is missing.
  • 10. Some programs and drivers won’t run because Windows 8′s version number jumped from 6.1 (Windows 7) to 6.2.

Luckily, Villinger has found workarounds for most of these annoyances, so if you’ve been perturbed, check out his helpful hints.

Comments

1. BY Alvin says:

God, the company I worked for is still fighting to get their applications working consistently on Windows 7, and the customer REALLY wants to buy new computers!

If Microsoft made compatibility “improvements” with Win8 the way they did with Vista/Win7, there is going to be a world of gnashing teeth!

• BY Joe says:

Alvin,

I don’t know who was setting up your computers in your old company but he must not be very good as our company has had very little issues upgrading everyone to Windows 7 including 64-bit versions. Windows 7 just plain works and is one of the most secure Operating Systems out there.

2. BY John D. says:

There’s just no end of grief with Microsoft, is there. As miserable as Windows Vista has turned out to be, I’m sticking with that for as long as I possibly can to avoid all of the pain that going to later Microsoft operating systems will inevitably bring about. That’s also why Windows ’98SE is still running on a secondary PC that I keep right on hand.

• BY Don says:

From the looks of things, you’ve managed to stick with the two WORST O/Ss that MS ever released ! 98 was horrible, and Vista – well didn’t you read the press on that debacle ? When the bulk of the commercial world spurns an entire release cycle, like thye did for Vista, that is a big clue for the likes of you and me…
      Make the move to 7 – it is a big improvement over Vista. As for Win 8 – it sounds like a quagmire of weirdness that Microsoft has written to try to respond to the iPAD revolution. They need to be able to think outside the box, but haven’t been able to for more years than I care to count.

• BY Steve says:

I have to agree with Don. Unfortunately, John, Vista was a crap piece of OS. But 7 on the other hand is a very stellar release. Check it out. Sounds like to me that Windows 8 won’t be in my future upgrades list — but I’ll stick with 7 for years and be happy with it.

3. BY Stinger51 says:

Well, why not do what I’m going to do for 2012: make the switch to Ubuntu LINUX. No only do you get free upgrades (no product registration needed) and an O/S that has a lot fewer bugs, but it’s also more secure. And LINUX does everything that Windows does (or promises to do). Plus you can save about $100 on the cost of a new computer. This is a no brainer, folks.

BTW, the Mayan Calendar does not end in 2012, it just promises the start of a new era. And my new era is going to be LINUX. :-)

• BY Vern says:

You might want to go with Linux Mint. Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) has also followed the siren song of the mobile device and the latest version (11.10) has this interface of their own design called Unity (google for endless user complaints!) which has the same “for a tablet” feel as Win 8. User complaints are many. To top things off, the big alternative interface is Gnome 3, which has also been developed for tablets. Long story short, Linux Mint, a distro based on Ubuntu, has concentrated on providing an experience that is desktop oriented, with a Gnome 3 interface with “extensions” that make it run like it did in the version 2 family, all very nicely tailored to the desktop, not a tablet. All this has resulted in a storm of converts who, reportedly, are flocking to Linux Mint.

Alternatively, I’ve heard good things about the latest KDE interface, which you could also install on Ubuntu. KDE went through this tablet madness already and adapted with dual interfaces; one desktop, the other tablet. I, myself, am using Ubuntu 11.10 with the XFCE interface for my own ideological reasons. XFCE runs like a desktop interface, but it’s no Gnome.

– Disillusioned Ubuntu user who will probably switch when he gets a chance

4. BY Dave says:

Microsoft’s in panic mode over not just mobile. The fact is, mobile devices are starting to function as stand alone personal computers, not just PC peripherals. Even Apple moved to this in the latter part of 2011. This is making people realize they don’t necessarily need Windows… anywhere. MacOS is gaining among consumers, as a result.

So Windows 8 looks like a hail Mary attempt to get Windows users to jump to Microsoft’s mobile vision, dragging the still successful desktop over en masse. I think the more likely result is an OS release that makes Vista look like a run-away success.

Apple had the good sense to take from iOS things that made a better desktop for iOS users in the latest MacOS release. Even this alienated some high end users, but they are on the overall preparing a soft landing place for iOS fans leaving Windows on the desktop. I don’t think even Apple was expecting such a big push from Microsoft to help them here.

5. BY Lost9875 says:

Well, I still have 1 major perpheral that is not Windows 7 x64 compatible: My Minolta Magicolor MC2300DL Color Laser Printer. Since the printer is no longer made, Minolta isn’t motivated to write a driver for it. I might have replaced it with a newer printer, but first, there is the expense. Second, I haven’t found anything to replace it with. This printer will do 2400 x 600 dpi. HP doesn’t make a color laser above 600 x 600. Reviews of other color lasers show them to all be more troublesome than transferring my documents to an XP box when I need to print in color, which is how I currently “handle” the problem.

6. BY Meengla says:

I have Windows 8 DP installed on my Acer Iconia W500 as the only OS and I am quite happy with the OS. There are improvements to be made but already I can get two OS’s in one device: The Metro enables me to be like other fashionable tablet users: Surf the web etc. While the Desktop experiences lets me runs all the needed applications as I run in my Windows 7 desktop. So, really, one device doing all the needed. And I don’t have to hunt for ‘apps’ constantly because there are tens of thousands of tried and tested (and often free) software online which can be had quickly.