How To Prepare for Corporate IT’s Changing Job Market

DiceTV: Corporate IT is in the midst of a major transformation. You already know that. One thing you may not realize is that the trend to externalize service delivery — and implement shared services — will eliminate more than half of today’s roles by 2015. That leaves experienced professionals – like you — little choice but to reinvent yourselves. I think I see something on the starboard bow.

I’m Cat Miller, and this is Dice TV.

If you are an IT Professional, you need to do some soul-searching — decide what you want to do and set a new course — because the clock is ticking. You have to get going, or your employer will end up deciding your fate for you.

Here are some ideas to keep your career afloat:

Option one is to stick to a pure technical role. Traditional technical roles in corporate America will decline by at least 80 percent. If you want to continue developing applications and technical infrastructure, you’ll need to make a change to a cloud provider or innovative high-tech firm — and hope you’ll be one of the few to survive corporate restructuring. The survivors will likely work in advisory roles, and you will need a broad base of expert technical knowledge along with the ability to integrate governance and planning into day-to-day operations.

Consulting is another option. However, long-term survival requires a commitment to continuously learning the latest technology. Technology professionals with diverse specialties should consider banding together and offering their services through a “guild” as an alternative to working in the corporate world.

Option three is to get into an emerging field. Although some roles will be eliminated, the shift to the cloud and service management will create at least seven new IT-related positions, including leadership roles in Shared Services and Technology Brokers. And, there’ll be an estimated 250 percent increase in the need for Information Architects.

Another thing… Do some research on YouTube and TechCrunch to learn about emerging skills like Usability Design, Information Visualization, and Cloud Integration.

Since CIOs are still devising their plans and are concerned about information security, you have a limited opportunity to reposition yourself to fend off advances from outsiders.

Option number four is to find an embedded role. At least sixteen positions in IT will move to Shared Services by 2015, and 88 percent of embedded jobs won’t require a technical background.

The change could usher in new opportunities for multi-skilled professionals, because Business Unit Line Managers will need basic knowledge in Requirements Definition, Product and Vendor Management, and Product Evaluation.

Requesting a transfer to a business unit today can help you become tomorrow’s Line Manager, Relationship Manager or User Experience Designer.

It’s better to embrace change now and move out of the IT silo ASAP — so you can re-tool for your future  and stay afloat.

This is Cat Miller for Dice TV. We now return you to your regular desktop.

Comments

1. BY Will says:

If it is true that 80% of all technical roles are going to be gone in just 3+ years then why are 66% of all CIOs hiring application developers? 23 % are going to hire business intelligence developers and the list of in demand technical skills goes on and on…….

A search for cloud platforms jobs like azure or amazons ec2 which are supposedly the harbinger of cloud computing taking over everything return only tiny handful of jobs. Business apps would have to be converted to the cloud…

I don’t want to sound like the skeptic standing outside the ark, but I just don’t see much possibility of rain

2. BY Emilov says:

Hello Dice,

I have years of experience in IT and honestly, I am somewhat clueless about the demanding job ads. Actually, I’m not even in North Am at present.
    When you read some job ads that require knowledge of nearly a dozen programming languages, almost operating systems out there + mainframe experience might be a Major Plus, any kind of middle-ware, GUI dev kinds and corresponding debugging tools entourage, any IT-related protocols one can think of, expert in server, desktop and network system security, all aspects of accounting, trading, and business knowledge that even economics majors may have not heard of, you can say: “What’s the point to apply, I don’t know even a third of what they require”.

However, if, instead of skipping to the next ad, you elaborate a bit more, another question pops up:
    “Well, if somebody would know all of this, why would such a smart guy work for someone else?!?”

Regards!

3. BY James Green says:

Where is Dice getting this information from? When just a week ago CIO where hiring software developers at 61%. And IT is such a wide field what jobs is Dice referring to?

4. BY T.J. says:

Please expand on what you consider embedded roles (option 4)

5. BY Joe says:

Obviously, this girl that wrote the article is a little wet behind the eyes. I’ve been in IT for 25 years and I don’t see or haven’t seen change as rapid as she is depicting. These are all prognostications to steer more people to DICE website. Wake up people, this is just marketing. Allot of what she depicts is fluff with a sensationalist headline that goes viral. However, having said that, you do have to keep up with new skills or certifications and hone existing ones if you are still employed. Use your common sense folks.

6. BY Sam says:

Dice should be embarrassed to have this unresearched, non-factual garbage posted on their site. Is anyone over there minding the store?

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Sam, we stand by this. If you don’t agree with it, I’d love to know why. All of these are viable options for changing with the times — and the evolving role of IT.

Best,

Mark

• BY Sam says:

Mark,

Thank you for your reply. My problem with the article is that no sources are quoted or referenced in this article that contains some pretty bold statements. She also states numbers and percentages with no description as to how she got them. Two statements that I had the most problems with are below:
        1. One thing you may not realize is that the trend to externalize service delivery — and implement shared services — will eliminate more than half of today’s roles by 2015.
        2. At least sixteen positions in IT will move to Shared Services by 2015, and 88 percent of embedded jobs won’t require a technical background.
        Really! Says who, the Department of Labor? Some industry organization such as Tech Serve Alliance?, or maybe some noted industry icon such as Larry Ellison? No, no one is referenced as having this opinion or having made these comments. The author makes them out of the blue. Is it simply the author’s opinion that this will happen? If so, she gives no reason for coming to this conclusion, she just states it as a matter of fact. She doesn’t even preface her comments with saying “in my opinion…” The author also does not have a technical education or background in the industry to draw from to support her comments.
        I stick by my previous comments, this is unprofessional work and the editors at Dice need to do a better job at either training their staff or deleting statements that are not vetted properly.

Sam

• BY James Green says:

Wow this sounds familiar. When when Borland C++ Builder and Visual Studio came out 17 years ago, non-technical people said there would be no need for application developers because secretaries would be able to develop application using those code generating tools. What happen? The fact is managers and business people don’t even like to use tool clearly created for easy of use, like excel, business objects and crystal reports to generate report and charts. And with the sony/playstation cloud failures I think there will be a need for IT professionals for a long, long time. Far beyond the three years predicted in the questionable at best article.

JG

7. BY Virat says:

Hello,

I’ve been an IT professional for the last 12 years but started my career in finance.
    Now I manage financial applications internally. How would I position my career to be in an embedded role? Am I already embedded? Not sure I understood the forth option.
    Please can you provide examples or expand on that.
    Thanks!

8. BY Ty Wilson says:

I just recently graduated with a degree in Computer Information Systems. Can anyone direct me on any companies that are hiring. It is so hard, very hard to get an entry level position. I have been networking and applying for jobs weekly, what else can I do?

9. BY James says:

So I guess that means that there will be 80% less demand for Dice’s services also? ;)

10. BY Unca Alby says: