Austin Needs Engineers, Best Buy Brings IT In-House

Dice News Update: Austin companies are recruiting in Silicon Valley… Best Buy’s moving some IT operations in-house… And slowdown or not, health organizations are hiring in IT. All on this week’s Update.

Thirty technology CEOs from Austin are heading to the Bay Area next week, to recruit talent. Why the trip? They say the city’s pool of tech workers is running low. So they’re meeting with Silicon Valley engineers and other professionals in an attempt to lure them to Austin. The executives are from companies like HomeAway, Bazaarvoice, Whaleshark, Bancvue, Gowalla and Gazzang. The group’s targeting engineers with experience in Java, Ruby on Rails and Python, and is contacting local user groups to spread the word. By the way, Bazaarvoice just registered for an $86 million IPO. The company employs just shy of 500 people and had $64 million in revenue during fiscal 2011.

One other tidbit from Austin: App-maker Evernote is opening its second U.S. office in the city. The company now has just under 100 employees total. It plans to hire at least a dozen in Austin by year-end. Over the next two years, the company expects to hire 500 more. About half of those will be based in Austin.

Best Buy Needs IT Help: The company plans to hire 200 IT specialists over the next year as the it tries to find customers across channels, on mobile devices and online. It’s a big change for the retailer, which has largely outsourced its IT for the past seven years. CIO Jody Davids calls the move a “strategic change.” She says the company now wants to its own talent as it develops a technology strategy. Another large retailer, Target, has taken a similar course after outsourcing much of its technical work to Amazon.

Still more indications that healthcare is hiring. The Research firm Computer Economics says 61 percent of healthcare organizations are increasing IT staff this year, well above the rate for everyone else. The big reasons for this: The continued growth of electronic medical records and electronic data collection, relative immunity to the economic slowdown, and the effects of government policies the are pushing health IT forward. A study by the company also found that healthcare organizations are devoting more funds to operational rather than capital spending. And that means hiring.

Comments

1. BY Wayne Blackmon says:

Going to California for Engineers? I find this article hard to believe. I am an engineer, I live in San Antonio, about an hour away. I have an electrical engineering degree – computer engineering option from Auburn University. They havent called me. I have a profile on Dice. Forward my name Mark.

• BY Mark Feffer says:

Hey Wayne -

If you’ve got the skills they’re looking for, why not give them a call? Remember, they’re not going to know you’re out there ’til you tell them. I think the article gives you a perfect opening line: You can do the job AND they won’t have to worry about relocating you. So go for it, I say.

Mark

• BY James Green says:

What skills are they looking, this article does not mention what specific skill these companies are looking.

2. BY MrHacks says:

Apparently this whole “Global Business Market” thing is going too far! Not to slam against you, Dice, but getting recruitment offers from New York, New Jersey, and other places that are NOT St. Louis (where I’d really like to work because I can’t afford to move to some place expensive like BosWash) is illogical.
    I’m sure there are plenty of unemployed engineers in Austin who’d like to work in Austin. If not Austin, then Houston or Dallas. But the Bay Area is a bit far. Heck, no one from San Francisco or San Jose has ever come to a job fair in the St. Louis area to find workers.
    The thing is they’ve probably never heard of these companies listed in this post. Heck, I’d never heard of them. (What the hell is a Gazzang?)
    I’ll consider work in SV or Austin when they can pay for my moving expenses, housing, and other stuff until I can pay for it on my own.

3. BY C Tisdale says:

How can i go about finding out more about Healthcare IT. I am very much interested in this field of work. Although my background comes from the datacenter side of operations(monitoring/troubleshooting systems) most of this type of function is being outsourced.
    Would love to transfer what skills i do have & get more training into the Healthcare IT field.

Thanks,

4. BY Dayna Herndon says:

So, I agree that there are lots of highly experienced unemployed engineers in the area. For some reason these companies have it in their heads that the talent is “better” on the West Coast. It’s like recruiters recruiting the currently employed. In this market, any growing company should recruit from their own backyard, if not, it stings. I hope they consider a different approach.