You CAN Apply for the Same Job Twice, So Long as You’re Careful

Battering RamA boo and a hiss for the online job application, a necessary irritant that most of the time you can’t avoid. Of course you wonder: Do those resumes actually get read? Do you have any options after you hit send? What can you do if you get some inside tip about the position — after you’ve submitted your materials?

Your best bet is to contact the recruiter or hiring manager directly. But that’s not always a possibility. In that case, you may gain traction by resubmitting your resume, giving yourself a second chance by revising your cover letter and application to show a more perfect fit.

Larger companies tend to rely on recruiting software to screen incoming applications, so if you don’t meet a job’s basic criteria, the system has probably spit you out without anyone seeing your resume. If they did, HR or the hiring manager may have found some aspects of your application problematic, even it you were a good fit for the position. For example, what if your salary requirement was too high? If you become aware of any issues like that, resubmitting may put you back in the game.

Remember, though, that there are potential negatives to applying for the same job twice. What you think is a lengthy wait to hear back is a mere minute in the eyes of HR. So, if you dip twice, you could be seen as a pest. And, if you substantially change your resume and cover letter they may perceive you as desperate,which could undervalue your professional worth.

Still, if you’re aware of the risks and really want a shot at the job, go for it. After all, what are they going to do? Not hire you?

Source: Bnet
Graphic: Wikimedia

Comments

1. BY Mike Jones says:

HR/Recruiters need to get over themselves. These people are way too judgmental, and in most cases are unqualified to determine whether or not a potential candidate is qualified or not. The use of resume scanning software in this day and age is ridiculous. A lot of resumes get over looked because of this, and a lot of these software keep a record of potential candidates, so if you’ve applied somewhere and your resume was rejected, it will more than likely be rejected agin when you apply at any company employing such software (based on your name alone). It is a form of judgement and discrimination that needs to be removed from the already troubling job market.

The problem with the job market, and most companies, is they assume someone is a pest, based on their consistency. The bottom line is this, everyone wants to work, everyone is desperate for a job. These companies have made it this way. A lot of talented people are being over-looked because of cut rate HR practices.

2. BY Mike says:

Years ago I applied, several times, for a position that frequently appeared in the “help wanted” section. I applied because I knew the OS in use, and several programming languages, but not the two programming languages in use. I finally was contacted for an interview. I was offered the job. But that was all in the past, prior to the onset of online applications, etc.

3. BY FYTHELER says:

Mike Jones & Liz are both right! Kind of. The end results are the same. Many Employment Hunters (“JOB HUNTING” is a full-time 24/7/365 job without pay!) are determined to be “OVER-QUALIFIED” whether applying for a Corporate C.E.O., Stock Broker, Engineering Tech, Welder’s Helper or Wal-Mart Security Rover/Greeter, Bus-Boy thanks to the in-ept attitudes of lacks HR recruiters using ONLY computer software. Then too is obvious “AGE-DISCRIMINATION (young or old) all any program needs do is look at (REQUIRED) Birth-Date! Point? I applied for a TV Satelite Tech job and was given a Machinist Test unrelated to anything in job description or dealing with public.

4. BY Judgemental Recruiter says:

A very common mistake made by individuals submitting their resumes online, or through ATS, is their refusal to read the job description thoroughly, and most will jab a fork in their eye before they even think of changing the holiest of Holy Grail’s…ie. their resume.

Look, people— if it says in the job description “Must be able to tie shoes— for 3 out of the last 5 years.” and your resume doesn’t accurately reflect that simple fact because you assume someone at the other end will “read between the lines”??? Check your ego’s at the door— and rewrite the &*%$ resume–!!!!!

• BY FYTHELER says:

Point made, point taken. Open mind noted. Have a nice day.

• BY FYTHELER says:

Oh, and one more thing, not taught where you learned how to milk a bad economy. Old saying: “If you are not part of the solution, you ARE part of the problem.” How many round pegs did you fit into a square hole today? < metaphorically speaking.

5. BY Tante Waileka says:

I have half a dozen resumes posted on dice at any given time when I’m job searching.
    I use a combination of firstname/nickname/loveydoveyname and then any one of my six married last names. I have a droid-x, two Voips, two skypes, and as many emails as necessary given I pay an extra 19.95 a year to have yahoo’s commercial-level email with unlimited aliases.

Since I have a dozen industry certifications and as many different roles over the years, each one of my resumes is ‘slanted’ for a different role.

You see, as a hiring manager, I like to know what the market-rate is for different Technology roles, and how popular a role is. I base that on how many recruiters call or email me on a weekly basis.

Since an interesting job description with initial offer monetary rate that is higher than what I make as a VP, well, I might just interview for the role. Alas! I still make more money than any of the jobs coming into my view through the techniques I outlined above. AND I work from home, that’s right, same holey t-shirt and baggy shorts, no shoes, no bra, hardly-brushed hair… unless I’m having a video-teleconference. boo hoo.

If you want a REAL job with BIG money like I have, you never fill in an on-line resume. Why leave traces of yourself all over the place like that? Skip HR. Find out who the person is above the hiring manager for the dept and go to them for a job. Sell yourself.

Oh, sorry. You’re entry level. Well, then, go directly to the hiring manager. Remember the 80/20 rule (google it, fool). Follow that premise if you want a good job.

6. BY Observing incompetence in HR representatives says:

Observing incompetence in HR representatives

My observation in general is that in general in all IT positions and perhaps many other fields is that HP representatives haven’t a clue as to what is needed to fulfill the requirements of technical positions and does not care as long as they keep receiving their fat checks for doing what they are actually not performing as far as setting up face to face interviews with qualified applicants with the managers who need their services and expertise.

7. BY Anna says:

In response to “Judgemental Recruiter’s” obervation about resumes, people should all just keep a generalized resume that they can edit. Fill in all your information including references, education, and past work. Extra-curricular can be substituted for work if you’ve never had a job before. Leave the “experience” portion blank in this general resume. When you’re applying for a job, read the job requirements and make sure you bring up experiences relating directly to the job. You can also have a generalized personal statement, but sometimes you may want to tailor that for the job too. That depends. I rarely change my personal statement.

If your problem has consistently been your resume, this should help quite a bit.