DiceTV: CIOs Want to Hire People Like This (Video)

CIOs are responsible for anticipating the future and hiring the right staff to help their company succeed. Here’s a look at their current hiring priorities and the specific skill sets they’re looking for.

I’m Cat Miller and this is DiceTV.

CIOs are looking for innovative developers who can weave social, mobile and collaborative technology features into their designs. Some developers will be responsible for attracting new customers and generating revenue with sexy mobile apps and Web sites. Others will be hired to improve operating efficiencies by integrating content management and collaboration tools into existing technology or building mobile business applications that allow employees to share information and access data anywhere in the world.

The marriage between IT and business is opening up opportunities for hybrid technology professionals who understand both operations and technology. To score one of these jobs you’ve got to be able to see the big picture, break down business problems into manageable components, analyze data and then respond with innovative technical solutions. CIOs are also looking for Web marketing and e-commerce pros to increase revenue within specific market segments by offering customers the relevant data and services they demand.

Thanks to the cloud, CIOs need professionals with the know-how to select and manage outside vendors, engage in collaborative problem solving, secure the company’s data and assure operational continuity under all conditions. The know-how you need: analytical skills, security expertise and diligent follow through.

Data experts are responsible for taming millions of terabytes of information: exabytes, AKA Big Data! The job involves organizing and retrieving unstructured data from emails, videos, photos, PowerPoints, text messages and engineering diagrams that are stored in on-site or off-site locations. But most importantly, data experts must be able to integrate and interpret Big Data and use the information to solve business problems or create operational efficiencies.

Many of these rising stars are making six figures, because they’re helping their CIO achieve tomorrow’s goals today.

I’m Cat Miller and this has been DiceTV. We now return you to your regular desktop.

Comments

1. i like the Dice work.

2. BY Rob says:

Thanks for the tips. Understanding the business aspects is vital for tech roles.

3. BY John Yaya says:

This is a high school report. Let’s get professional! I was looking for information, not yadayadayada from “eye candy” (silly) who doesn’t know what she is talking about.

How can I rely on Dice with “info” like this? Makes me even more depressed.

• BY Right On says:

100% agree. Get some CIO/CTO insider interviews. Dice, you got me to click with the title, but the content wasted my time.

4. BY growingmary says:

Well thank you Cat

5. BY Ryan H says:

@Rob – Precisely. As a systems integration consultant for hospitals, I am needing to understand the business side more and more to be effective and mobile – which is probably why I am not at all looking for more work right now. I treat the business side as being simply an extension of my technical skills – and if I don’t know something, I research it. No different to me than learning a new tool or language.

@John – Word of advice – If you take the time to comment on something, at least take the time to point out something good. Every little bit helps and can help elevate you above “depressed”. There are always opportunities as long as you have faith in yourself and try to find the good in all things. Look at the bright side – every time you pass a cemetery, it’s filled with people that can no longer make a difference. You still can. Make the best use of your time while you’re not in there with the rest of them.

6. BY Winston says:

It seems to me that if CIO’s want specific skills set in new employees and contractors, it is they who must effectively communicate to technical search firms what they really want because headhunters contact me rather frequently just because they view “key words” in resumes hoping there is a good fit…regardless if it is one. As a IT Project Manager (non-technical) I get email solicitation and calls frequently wanting me to be a technical person or software developer. I am neither.

7. BY Holly Mayletank says:

I’ve seen a number of Cat Miller’s (is that really her name? yeesh) videos for Dice. I detest her smug attitude and faux-sexy body language while she condescends to us. She could’ve given the same report without the smug la la la. Useful info but the delivery is juvenile.

8. BY a99weeker says:

Cat, agreed nice job. Personally, I find you smartly attractive and linguistically abled.

However, would it be possible for a series of “Dice TV” reports to be compiled and shown to tell us displaced & HIGHLY qualified I/T people what companies are willing to invest in their current and potential NEW hires to learn, retool and transition into this newest technology?

These would be helpful reports.

9. BY Fred Bosick says:

This all sounds fine and dandy, but with all the skills demanded of hopeful candidates for IT positions, what purpose do salesmen, executives, and mid level managers serve? For all those skill sets seemed to be already performed by the incoming subordinate to the CIO! At least according to this video.

BI(business intelligence) is a typical buzz phrase of incompetent executives and lazy salezdroids. It’s not enough that so many positions are outsourced to manual memorizing desperate peasants, but that now IT must do the heavy lifting formerly asked of MBA holders. Is it that the newly added business ethics classes have dropped the GPA of amoral MBA aspirants?

Apparently, merely managing the systems required to store sales and institutional data is insufficient. Interpreting, aka, spoon feeding big data to executives is now on the menu. Shall we also hold the teaspoon containing the mashed peas for the sales director at lunchtime? “Here comes the choo-choo train!”

10. BY al says:

Cat great info…thanks again…and that HOLLY person is just a hater…keep up the good work

11. BY Nesan Naane says:

How do we develop business understanding. It’s been very difficult task for isolated technical folks sitting in IT dept. Any suggestions?

• BY Mike says:

View users as the reason for IT existance, not a burden/cross to be endured. Spend time with folk outside of IT. Talk to, not down to or at, the folk outside of IT. Sadly, the ability to work both sides of the aisle, the “soft skills”, are sadly lacking in many IT folk. Equally lacking is a big picture view of the situation; IT is too content to view their world as the only world that matters.

12. BY Mike says:

How long have IT and business been married? It seems, considering that opportunities are “opening up” they must be newlyweds. Perhaps that’s been “the” problem all this time? Business was distinct from IT and vice-versa, or at least everyone behaved as though they were distant relatives rather than parts of the same puzzle.

13. BY Security Tips says:

Thank goodness some bloggers can write. My thanks for this piece…