An E-Mail From a Hiring Manager

Just got this e-mail:

You know, it’s just amazing. I just posted a manager’s job in various places. I have already received several dozen letters and resumes from some highly qualified people, some with 10-20 years of experience in all the right areas. I read every single one of them. But I am not going to contact or interview any of them. Why? Not one of them even mentioned our company, or gave any evidence that they were at least vaguely aware of or intrigued by what we do after looking at our website for five minutes. All they do is recite their qualifications – nothing about why they want to work here, rather than just anywhere.

Maybe it’s different for other occupations and all you need to do is recite the acronyms of the skills you have? All I can tell you is that for a job in IT this does NOT work.

I’ll shut up now.

– Mark Feffer

Comments

1. BY Hello there says:

What an arrogant ass. Unless you actually work there, you don’t know what the company’s about. Most job descriptions only superficially match what the job ends up being about, so you might as well tell an employer what you’re good at.

2. BY Mark Feffer says:

@Hello there – I have to disagre. As he said, you can look at the company’s website to get an idea of what they do and what their focus is. It’s certainly easy enough to include a reference to the company in your cover letter. You qualifications are obviously important, but at this first step, the important thing is to get the hiring manager to see why he should go to the NEXT step.

Best,

Mark

3. BY v says:

The most stupidest email from the mgmt yet. If there is a guarantee that the resume will be read a lot of people will do research and spend the time. But if the firm advertises in a job board, there is very little chance that the resume will even be read or the firm is even really serious in hiring. During these daya, a lot of firms are just trolling the web trying to find cheap candidates without any intention of hiring. No one in the right mind will spend a lot of time to craft a personalized resume for a dead end job.

4. BY cathyvv says:

It really isn’t that hard to meet this managers expectation. You don’t have to customize your resume unless there are some very unusual job requirements listed in the job posting. If not, then use the cover letter to ‘echo’ back some of the qualifications requested in the job post and tell who ever reads the cover letter why you think you are the right person for the job.

How hard is it to include the companies name , the job title, job number and where you found the post in your cover letter? That is always in the first or second sentence of a cover letter when I respond to a job post. Lets the hiring manager know right away which job you are applying for, and tells the screener who to route them to for further review.

If you get a call for an interview, then you can do some research on the company.

Think of it this way:

Your cover letter and resume are your chance to sell yourself (actually your services) to the person reading them – he’s just saying that, based on the cover letters and resumes he’s read, he ain’t buying what they’re selling.

5. BY x says:

5 minutes “extra” at everyone’s company website that I apply to – adds up. I’d really rather just take my chances applying to companies with a nice generic resume – who value my skillset over their holier-than-thou ideals.. Because really, where does that “our company deserves extra” attitude stop, and why bother going so far out of the way — unless the compensation for the position at your AMAZING company is that much more AMAZING… (which, let’s face it, it’s not.)

6. BY Kathryn Prager says:

This manager is absolutely right. If you want the job, you will be interested enough to do the 5 minutes of research to find out about the company that you are applying to. It is due diligence, and it will make you stand out. Clearly, it’s not just the resume that gets you the interview!

7. BY Employed says:

Typical of today’s employers. Expect prospective employees to jump through a thousand hoops before even being evaluated to be considered for a potentially possible job opening that is likely to pay like crap. What ever happened to employers that want to attract good employees and pay them for their performance? For you and hiring managers like you: Up Yours.

8. BY Brenton says:

How do you know if you want to work for a company unless you research them? And if you’re going to research them, let them know you have! Tell them what specifically about their company appeals to you. I’ve been involved with hiring many times (as a team lead) and this concerns me just as much as the applicant’s qualifications. If I think they’re ‘just looking for a job’ then let them find it with some other company. However, if they’re looking to work with our team and get with the company’s future, then I’m much more interested. Its a legitimate concern and far to often overlooked by job candidates.

9. BY y says:

@Prager…There lies the argument, “if you want the job”, obviously those 20 highly qualified applicants were not too impressed by the manager’s ad.

But I bet you the mass mailing of highly qualified resume’s does make the phone ring. The real reason the manager won’t call nor interview them is because he knows those highly qualified people are beyond his budget.

10. BY Guy Dagar says:

Here’s the thing about employers and what they’re willing to pay: it is a bull market for employers, there are too many unemployed skilled people who are willing to work for less, and if all the employers are offering about the same pay, then you take what you can get. It’s price fixing, and should be illegal. There are all these studies and surveys that basically tell employers how little they can pay to get the top people for any given job. I had a short phone interview yesterday and the person I spoke with had the courtesy to ask me how much I expected to get paid for the job in question. I told her how much I was paid in the past which amounted to about $35 an hour. She said they were willing to pay between $18 and $20 per hour. This is for a job that requires many years experience and is highly specialized in many areas. I asked how they could offer so little and she basically said that their HR uses data from a survey that tells them what other companies are paying for a similar position, so that’s what they pay. It has little to do with what the job is worth, nor what the prospective employee’s skills are worth, it’s all about what other employers are paying, and so you can’t get anymore anywhere else.

It is akin to price-fixing of retail products. Really, it ought to be against the law, but that’s the way it is and it’s not going to get fixed under out present free enterprise capitalistic system. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor.