DiceTV Update: The Feds Need More Contractors

Things are looking good for federal IT contractors – More evidence of a talent shortage in health IT – and did you ever see the TV show Green Acres? Google it. It might show you something about your future.

The Script

The budget for federal IT contractors is set to increase substantially between now and 2015 – from $86 billion to $112 billion. The growth is primarily driven by a need to reduce costs and waste from existing systems. Though the government wants to hire more full-time workers, it’s got to grapple with immediate needs. Those include addressing some areas where insourcing hasn’t saved as much money as hoped. The  administration wants to leverage shared services, automate processes, improve cybersecurity, and invest in technology infrastructure. All those require more
work from IT. Bottom line: Though the government wants to cut costs, IT is so important to its operations, and there’s such a gap in federal tech expertise, spending here is bound to grow.

Healthcare executives are worried about a shortage of IT professionals. Fifty one percent think the shortage could delay their projects, and 10 percent say it would definitely have an impact. Remember: completion of EHR projects is often tied to receiving stimulus funds – no EHR, no money. The greatest need for is for people who can implement clinical records software. More than 70 percent of the CIOs lack the staff to implement clinical applications. And, they’re also worried about retaining their current staff. Since there’s such demand, they’re worried about poaching.

More tech jobs are moving to the country – places like Jonesboro, Ark., or Macon,
Mo. Maybe they’re not exactly hotbeds of urban chic, but there’s a lot development going on out there, a lot of businesses with tech needs, and a lot of government agencies. So, more IT professionals are looking for work there. NetworkWorld says a lot of outsourcing companies have located in small towns and cities. Because it costs less to put there, they can keep their fees relatively low. But before you rent a U-Haul, remember the country lifestyle is a lot different from, say, Palo Alto or New York. And though some costs
will be lower, your salary might be, too.

DiceTV Update: Teds Need More Contractors

Comments

1. BY Mike H says:

Could it be that either of the conditions exists that a)There are too many kids coming into college that want to party instead of train for a profession (call them stupid) or b) the Sciences including IT are not as important to young people because of culture, society, school or whatever you want to blame here?

2. BY Mike H says:

3. BY Rita B says:

Bill K/S, Craig H and Jack B. Thank you for posting your comments. I agree with you completely. I’ve been out of work for 16 month with 11 years¿ experience and multiple certifications. South West Florida is an area where IT jobs in the Medical Field are listed on the net but the same posting have been listed for over 16 month. The question is: Are there really jobs available? The experience requirements are not realistic. Especially when this is a NEW technology field and no company is interested in hiring an IT tech with skill that could meet there need ¿with a little training/exposure. The other thing is that unless you know someone in a company, you odds at getting an interview/offer are slim to none. You are right, hire cheap friends and forget about the qualified IT folks that would be better suited for the position.
    Age Discrimination is alive a well.
    Folks, don¿t come to South West Florida and expect to find an IT job. With 13+% unemployment rate (Lee County) you will only loose what every $ you bring down here. Quite a few folks are looking for jobs in other states and leaving their families here for now. I am also one of these folks.

4. BY Rita B says:

Age Discrimination is alive a well.

5. BY DonF says:

The H1B infection is alive and well in other industries as well, i.e. Semiconductor. While our CEO’s were in D.C. lobbying for extending H1 limits, they also started to off-shore many jobs. Now, a hiring manager is someone from another country who would rather hire someone like themselves who will knuckle under his direction – knowledge is secondary. Anyone who does not fit the age or racial profile is quickly eliminated regardless of knowledge and experience. How many have attended classes that say this is illegal in the workplace? The apathy is worse than the offense!
    Many of the jobs in Semiconductor will not return and more are lost to developing countries whose refugees are here making the hiring decisions – God help us.

6. BY DonF says:

7. BY Bill S. says:

Remember the good ole days when I.T. manufacturing and supply chain I.t. jobs were so plentiful. Now all the positions on the job boards are for insurance or financial. I have over 25 years in mainframes, manufacturing, suppply chain, retail applications. Guess I am a baby boomer, which all that experience means nothing today. I have heard that 2 of the major companies I have worked for in the past have off-shored most all of their I.T. applications. I have been out of work now for 10 months. But how do you compete with visa holders that work for dirt cheap wages. Guess we need to just expect the worse and hope for the best.

8. BY Bill S. says:

9. BY Jerry says:

I totally agree about age discrimination in IT. I have 25 years experience in IT in manufacturing and lost my job 2 years ago due to competitors buying our company then closing it down. I was not getting any hits on my resumes, so I tried a little experiment. I removed all of the dates from my resume. Work dates, college dates, etc. Low and behold, I started receiving calls and emails. Of course the first questions they asked were about when I worked for previous employers, when I graduated, etc. Even though I was qualified, I never heard from them again. Experiment successful. The other thing that is ridiculous, is that they require “Experience in health care” or the like. They don’t even know enough to know that data is data, and that software is software. Doesn’t matter if you are selling flue shots or airplanes, it all works the same. Whoever comes up with these requirements are the biggest morons. The only way to fix the problem, is to charge a company a huge tax for every outsourced position, and give a company a large deduction if they hire workers over 50. CEO’s only respond to greed, so that’s the only way to fix the problem.

10. BY Jerry says:

11. BY Jim Davidson says:

The job market is not good in some areas and an overriding problem is the cost and maybe age descrimination in some cases. A resume can be designed to handle the age descrimiantion problem. Don’t include 35 years experence but only 15 – 20 and be brief about what happened 20 year ago the last 5 years of experience is why you will be hired.
    Consulting rates have been lowered first by the economy and secondly the H1B candidate. This will not last forever and has been a condition that exists after every economic recession. Consulting will also help keep skills current and sharp so take an assignment at a lower rate and compete. In addition you must remember skill sets have changed rapidly in the last 5 years and training is not the best answer. The best answer is to take a technology job is a skill where you can function and look in that company for something else that will update your skils even if you must volunteer to do the work on the side. Small companies will recover first and they are ususally very liberal about who they will hire because lower cost is so important to their growth. So if you are a VP take a manager job for a year. If you are a cobol developer you should have updated years ago but look for somthing relate like DB design or process design or teach yourself PC development tools and approach a small company for some work or volunteer to build a web site that you can add to your resume. You can’t stop competing! The Fed & state & municipal government will hire you at any age but not at any price. Half a loaf of bread is better than no loaf until things change. In addition – what is a big advantage that H1 have over US canidates? They will go wherever they find the work. Once a company sees in person what you can do they may let you work from home but only after you have proven yourself.
    Most people don’t realize that unless you know someone in a company that can vouch for your work you only have a 1:100 chance that your resume will be evaluated so you must make many more than 100 points of contact and reach out to prior contacts if they work somewhere or are a member of a professional association or group. Personal networking is always the best way to find that unpublished job.

God bless America! It is printed on our money so it is ok to say.

12. BY Jim Davidson says:

God bless America! It is printed on our money so it is ok to say.

13. BY rradiko says:

Fiscal conservatives will work their existing labor-force to death before they hire on more people.

And when they finally hire outsourced I.T. people, these techs will be working for lower pay than what you expect, and for hardly any job benefits. For example, earned time for paid sick leave, what’s that? After the project is done, they’re laid off. No job security or hardly any traditional job benefits offered in this push for hiring more I.T.

They say I.T. is critical but they don’t value their I.T. labor-force, so as far as I’m concerned, this push to hire more is just a temporary rise in hope that’s going against this nationwide Tea Party trend to favor ultraconservative politicians and the anti-labor-rights, anti-government appointees they put into management power in government and business organizations. They’ll push skilled American I.T. workers to the bottom of the heap!

14. BY rradiko says:

15. BY Steve Hovland says:

It’s becoming increasingly apparent that American young people are not going into IT.

The main cause of this is many years of sending work to India. Kids heard that the jobs were leaving and they started going into biotech and other hot fields. IT was hot, now it’s not.

The H1 program was passed on predictions of a shortage of IT workers, which was a lie, but now that has resulted in a real shortage of people which won’t be relieved for years.

16. BY Steve Hovland says:

17. BY Bill K says:

There is talent out there. Having been laid off from a key IT position from a Big 5 industry I looked for a year for work.

The Government is looking only for college grads missing the maturity of those who know both IT and have keen business experience. I have migrated into another IT field, but the Government – in looking for the cream of the crop – is doing themselves a disservice.

They should look to the people that are in IT and already on payroll ( monthly unemployment ) and turn those “thousands of dollars” into a reasonable risk plan.

So rather than have talent who is a close match (but not perfect) hired puts the net government cost at:
    Total = Salary

vs.

Total = Salary + Unemployment

18. BY Bill K says:

Total = Salary

vs.

Total = Salary + Unemployment

19. BY Tracy Webster says:

I am a recruiter with many contact in the IT space – healthcare IT and even clinical transformational nurses gone consultant.

Who should I contact to provide contractors for this shortfall?

Let me know how I can help!

Tracy Webster
    twebster@simplystaffed.com

20. BY Tracy Webster says:

Who should I contact to provide contractors for this shortfall?

Let me know how I can help!

Tracy Webster
    twebster@simplystaffed.com

21. BY Jerry Misrok says:

Would you be able to help with with EDI positions?
    I am looking for a position in the New Jersey/New York area.
    I would appreciate any assistance you could give me.
    Thank you.

Jerry Misrok

22. BY Jerry Misrok says:

Would you be able to help with with EDI positions?
    I am looking for a position in the New Jersey/New York area.
    I would appreciate any assistance you could give me.
    Thank you.

Jerry Misrok

23. BY Craig H says:

Fully agree with Bill K. I’ve been looking for work now for most of a year, I’ve been getting calls and phone interviews but then the $ part comes up and they see that I am not a kid. And suddenly the position is no longer available after a week or they have turned to internal for someone, this is BS. Age and Wage discrimination is alive and well, and being covered by very thinly veiled excuses.

Yes there is a shortage or my phone wouldn’t be ringing as much, and yes the H1B is a flop. I have worked with a number of the people in it and they are not as well trained as everyone seems to think, there schools (IMHO) are just pushing them out so that they can fill positions here in the US. Take a look at the recruiters now looking for people to work in India, something is VERY backwards here.

24. BY Craig H says:

25. BY Bill Stevens says:

Craig H is right on. I was severed as part of a job reduction a year and a half ago, and have not had as much as one interview. History included 30 years with IBM and 10 with a major insurance company. You don’t last that long with companies if you don’t have skills and perform. Much as the world doesn’t want to admit it, age descrimination is alive and well in the IT industry.

26. BY Bill Stevens says:

27. BY Angela S says:

I agree with everyone on the IT industry having an abundance of qualified individuals, it truly comes down to salary. I find the EHR piece almost comical too. There are at least 225 people that I was laid off with back in April 2010 who implemented the nation’s largest EHR project to date and we cannot find work. Some have taken jobs in other states and areas just to be working temporarily. I would love to know where the lacking is? I think it truly is about salary! I have found that most IT departments will take mediocre or average employees straight from college with little to no experience before taking on an IT or EHR veteran of the industry. Best of luck to all out there, especially my fellow laid off IT friends.

28. BY Angela S says:

29. BY DT says:

Bill and Craig,

Two things.
    A) Govt and management of resources
    B) Outsource and backwards scenario

A:
    Govt. Looking for interns and college grads is probably under some program where they must hire certain quota. However this is beneficial in keeping existing positions secured. Whether those enjoying those positions are fully qulified (education and or management style) business continues inefficiently.
    I heard someone saying government kills dreams. It was an eye opener and very sad to hear something from a college grad who works for govt.
    I have known people who do the job that they are not qualified for but are pigeon holed to do these jobs.
    Perhaps this will improve sometime in future.

B) Efficiency and work ethics is the key.
    Let us not talk about communication and language barrier.I think one need a limited conversational ability when he / she is in a technical field.
    Most importantly if a task is supposed to take 40 hours then who can do that in 35 hours, is what counts. I have seen people doubling their work estimates and spending their energy on something else than the job itself. This drives the cost and companies tend to look at cheaper alternatives.
    There was once an email floating around depicting a scenario of year 2050, people waiting in visa line to go and work in India (backwards?) I would not be surprised if this happens, though I do not wish that.

30. BY DT says:

Bill and Craig,

Two things.
    A) Govt and management of resources
    B) Outsource and backwards scenario

A:
    Perhaps this will improve sometime in future.

B) Efficiency and work ethics is the key.

31. BY Robert Emminger says:

America H1 program for India’s free piggyback ride has killed our econ….Think OF before CEOs whined about our salaries and got all our I.T poeple to flee to medical(f`ing wish I had). Our Ecomeny was with a 4% unemployment rate, then came H1, green card, and a lot of other bull…..Now young college students would PERFER to take up teacher education degrees then to touch, breath, or even let it be a thought of a computer engineering or Computer Science….THANKYOU CORP AMERICA FOR SCREAWING OVER YET ANOTHER FIELD, WISH I WENT INTO PHYICAL THEROPY!!!!

32. BY Robert Emminger says:

33. BY Jack B says:

Craig H I think you hit the nail on the head. I am dealing with the age/wage discrimination right now. I have been in the IT industry over 22 years. When they see my work experience and all I can bring to the table they indirectly treat that as a negative vs a positive.

All common sense to business has been turned on its head and replaced with this business camp right think rational. Before they would hide behind degrees, licenses, certifications and that is fine as its within the career path. Now they hide behind models and methodologies which have no bearing on the real world.

I am also seeing a strong trend to hire a buddy vs hire who is qualified for the job. I see more and more people who are not competent in their positions and make no effort to improve themselves. Even worse they may outright lie about their qualifications.

How many times have we seen this? No one is willing to step forward and take action on it as it would cause a political mess and make the person who hired/recommended them look bad so instead lets just keep them on board and focus on work…

This type of apathy spreads throughout the workplace like a cold/flu virus. Next thing you know, no one knows anything about well, anything… but hey they are all friends so lets not worry about that… whats for lunch?

34. BY Jack B says:

35. BY Patrick t says:

Hey guys I live in North Dakota and am just about to graduate with my 2 year degree in IT. I have had people almost banging at my door for me to come to work for them. I have my a+ and window 7 certs is one of the big reason they want me so if your really looking check up here. And what I would say is one of there biggest reason most place are scared is because they might think that your not keeping up to date on the last tech that would be my guess is why they want a grad instead of someone with exp. Also they believe they can pay a grad less then someone like you guys

36. BY Patrick t says:

37. BY MIke Jessie says:

This is a complete falsehood!

Trying to get any kind of Federal job is impossible — even for veterans. The red tape kills you.

Plus, the hiring folks are scared to death of hiring someone from the private sector who will blow the whistle on just how lazy and incompetent the Federal workers really are.

38. BY MIke Jessie says:

This is a complete falsehood!

39. BY Steve Zap says:

Wage discrimination ? Seriously people ?

If you run a company, and you have to fill an IT position… you are presented with a few hundred candidates, most of whom aren’t qualified, then you have a couple who are just knowledgable enough to do that job, and will do it for cheap, and one person who knows a lot, but refuses to work for less than a certain dollar amount, you go with the cheap one that can still get the job done.

Just because YOU have some sort of false sense of entitlement, and refuse to hurt your ego to take a pay cut, doesn’t mean the companies are discriminating against you. In case you hadn’t noticed, the economy is in the toilet. Companies need to save every dollar they can in every department. I took a 25% pay cut when I get this new job just to make sure I am still employed. I am also amazed how people can say it is age discrimination after stating that they have been out of work for a year or two. This industry moves VERY fast. If you haven’t worked IT within the past 6 months, then any knowledge you have is more than likely outdated. Unless you can show that you have recently kept up to date (with a certification or OTJ experience), you will get passed by quickly.

As for those who say Medical IT is just like any other IT, please don’t speak of things you have no knowledge of. The HIPAA network comes with a long line of procedure, security, and privacy concerns that are only matched by DoD Secret level systems. Unless you have worked on the HIPAA network, you cannot claim to be qualified to work on Medical IT systems. Employers like to know that they won’t spend a bunch of cash getting you hired, only to find out your background check fails, and they have to go back to square one.

Bottom line, go out there and get your certifications up to date, stay employed, even if you have to take a low-paying temporary contract to stay current, and don’t play the victim when you don’t get hired.

40. BY Steve Zap says:

Wage discrimination ? Seriously people ?

41. BY Steve Zap says:

Mike Jessie, you are 100% wrong. I was working as a contractor for a gov’t agency that insourced. I had been doing the enterprise server admin job there for 3 years, and when my job got insourced, I got beat out by some kid who just finished serving his first and only term in the military, and didn’t even know what the Windows Registry was. Veterans have all the power in the world to get IT jobs in the government sector.

42. BY Steve Zap says:

43. BY MIke Jessie says:

Steve Zap … I am terribly sorry that you lost your job. But in my experience, I have applied for more than 150 Federal jobs and have qualified for one phone screen and one interview. Of course, I only worked in IT for 16 1/2 years at Sun Microsystems and more than 15 years at other high tech companies.

44. BY MIke Jessie says:

45. BY Bill says:

I remember when I saw a job ad for someone with no more than 5 years Cobol experience. There is a lot of age discrimination in the IT field and as an instructor of existing programmers where the youngest staff members are in their late 50′s I can tell you there is a huge problem loaming for corporate america. After years of watching their friends get laid off and keeping their heads low, they are hanging on for retirement. When they leave with their 30+ years experience and working 60 hrs a week on salary they can not be replaced with even 2 or 3 recent IT graduates with no knowledge of mainframe technology. I think corporate america thought they would replace these people with a 49.95 package that would run on a PC or that the internet would replace them. I work mostly for the Fortune 500 and the Feds and almost all the internet front ends run on top of a huge mainframe back-end that is more important than ever. Good luck sorting this out.

46. BY Bill says: