DiceTV Update: How to Make Hiring Managers Happy

Everyone hates the notion of customizing their resumes, and a lot of people seem to think writing a cover letter is a waste of time. So I’m here as a hiring manager to tell you: If you’re not doing these things, you’re blowing opportunities. Watch the video, or read my post from earlier this week.

– Mark Feffer

DiceTV Update: How to Make Hiring Managers Happy

Comments

1. BY Edward Lefkowitz says:

Great information, Mark. Now, what advice do you have for the east coaster who’s looking to relocate west (in my case case, SoCal) at his own expense for family reasons? Though I make this plain in its own paragraph on my cover letter, in the interest of full disclosure, I feel I must present my current address & phone number on my resume. I’m not so arrogant to assume that distance is the sole reason I receive so few responses, but I can’t help but believe it is a major factor.

2. BY Edward Lefkowitz says:

3. BY thirza11@gmail.com says:

Thanks Mark, for cutting through the slog. Passing on your insights to other colleagues. Good stuff!

4. BY thirza11@gmail.com says:

5. BY Hester Green says:

Great tips! I would emphasize that a cover letter letter is the best way at that stage of showing that a job applicant has researched the employer’s business. Typically applicants can find something to more easily relate their past experience more specifically to something the employer needs.

6. BY Hester Green says: