DiceTV: Build on Your Current Skills to Transition into Mobile Technology

Cat thinks Mobile apps are hot – so hot she wishes she could be a mobile app developer. How’s she going to pull that off? Watch.

The Script

Mobile apps are so hot. I wish I could be a mobile app developer.

(Dreaming) Wow, I’ve got a new gig developing mobile applications. I used my IT skills as a foundation and added a few new ones to make the transition.

I’m Cat Miller and, I’m switching to a career in mobile technology on DiceTV.

Experience with embedded software is one of the building blocks for a career in mobile technology. I’m taking my bachelor’s degree in computer science, my C++ coding  experience, and my Java knowledge with me to my new job.

If you’re coming along, you’ll also need to be familiar with mobile programming software and the industry’s culture to make a successful transition.

I got those by visiting online communities for prospective iPhone and Blackberry developers.

Reading the blogs and watching the videos piqued my curiosity, but when I attended a local coder’s group that I found on Meetup.com, I knew a mobile career was right for me.

I got hands-on experience by creating an app using the iPhone OS and Safari programs in the developer’s toolkit. Building an app in my spare time convinced employers that I’m passionate about the technology, and allowed me to showcase my creativity.

I’ve always been a pretty good coder but mobile app developers need to write really tight, clean code. I knew prospective employers would test my skills.

So to hone my capabilities, I reviewed online coding samples and debugged applications myself. That was a big help during technical interviews.

Finally, I tantalized employers by adding that mobile software experience to my resume and showing them my app. I sealed the deal with my previous development experience and my great communication skills.

Hm. Back to reality.

I’m Cat Miller, and this has been DiceTV. We now return you to your regular desktop.

Comments

1. BY Bill says:

Be careful when chasing fads. As the dust settles, you’ll find a lot of bodies.

2. BY Bill says:

Be careful when chasing fads. As the dust settles, you’ll find a lot of bodies.

3. BY Arulin says:

I’m not very impressed in this area, there are uses in this area….Still the limited hardware specs would die in the type of high profile developments I’d perfer. Goverment projects are seriously still the best game out there. The private ecomony hasn’t yet blossomed enough for my taste. Gov’t isn’t really looking for a mobile CMS on an iphone yet.

4. BY Arulin says:

5. BY Dave says:

If you’re a good embedded developer, stay in embedded systems. The medical device industry is the best, after all… everyone gets sick. People want to get well, not diddle with their iPhone.

6. BY Dave says: