Dice News Update: Economy Adds Tech Jobs, But the Market’s Not Stable Yet

Although the economy added enough tech jobs in April to gain back the number lost in March – and then some – the IT labor market may still swing in terms of pay and demand for specific skills. Plus, CIOs say a lack of IT staff is hampering efforts to implement new tech and upgrades, and approaching a job opportunity with a clear head.

See last week’s update here.

Comments

1. BY Oscar says:

IT is a very dynsmic field, you have to always learn new stuff and keep yousself in the cutting edge. In networking, how good you are in LAN and WAN? Did you certify by CISCO? Did you certify by Microsoft, Oracle, Sun or Redhead? what language you know VB, C#, C++, php, Javascript, Java, Html, CSS, Flash, IIS, Exchange Server, Unix, Lunix? What database you know? Access, DB2, Oracle MS SQL, mysql…? If you know everthing I mention before you will not have problem, if you know only a few you will have more problem to find a job, if you know only AS400, MVS, JCL, CICS, COBOL, clipper, dBase3, you may find a job in the whole U.S. but you have problem to stay the same job, the same company or the same city in along run, because those system is disappearing, those job is less and less. Plus out-sourcing impact, IT people must be always know everything from hardware, software, internet, networking and operating system. Would you believe that?

2. BY Oscar says:

3. BY Patrick says:

@ Chris Shore – I did a Google search on ‘as400 jobs’
    which produced some interesting results. One link shows the current downward trend in AS400 opportunities nationwide: AS/400 Job Market Overview, AS/400 Jobs

It may be time to expand on one’s skill set instead…

4. BY Patrick says:

@ Chris Shore – I did a Google search on ‘as400 jobs’

It may be time to expand on one’s skill set instead…

5. BY Responder says:

@Evelyn Steen

I wouldn’t advertise you are from Orlando, in seeking employment outside of Orlando. Not saying you are. But I’d leave out a return address on a letter or house address on a resume. Some people only want to interview local candidates, I assume your problem is getting interviews not so much closing them.

6. BY Responder says:

@Evelyn Steen

7. BY Josh says:

There seems to be too many companies hiring people with F1 visas rather than hiring USA citizens who have an education like us. Why doesn’t the USA govt raise the tuition on companies that hire F1 visa people.

8. BY Josh says:

9. BY Evelyn Steen says:

I am having a hard time finding a job in IT. I know that I am new to field, I have my Masters, but you would think that such a demand on the field I would have had a bite out of three months. I live in the Orlando Florida area but I am willing to relocate. Any suggestions?

Evelyn

10. BY Evelyn Steen says:

Evelyn

11. BY Bill says:

If you’ve spent a year unemployed, it may be necessary to overlook negatives like a potentially troublesome boss. As much as I hate to say it, that means taking the job and still looking for another one. I fully expect that once things turn around, we’re going to see a lot of job hopping.

12. BY Bill says:

13. BY Chris Shore says:

Hi – I have worked in IT for 29 years, last 18 on the AS400 IBMi platform. Currently in a lay off status. Been looking hard for 14 months, nothing. I would like AS400 systems admin and operations, my heavy expertise, any suggestions on my job search…

Thanks…

14. BY Chris Shore says:

Thanks…

15. BY Jane says:

Chris. Try Prescription Solutions in California, they use AS400 and there’s been some hiring going on.

16. BY Jane says: