DiceTV: ‘Thank You’ Still in Vogue

You might have hated it when your mother told you to say thank you. But the truth is it’s good advice – even today, and especially during a job search. Not only are thank you notes an essential part of a job search, overlooking them could end up costing you an offer.

Some hiring managers say candidates who don’t send a thank you after an interview are out of the running - period. Why? Because sending one shows they’re serious, conscientious, and interested in the position.

Though the delivery method is a matter of preference, most hiring managers lean toward e-mail. If that’s the way you’ve been communicating thus far, it only makes sense. Still, bear in mind many hiring managers are old school - meaning, they like handwritten or printed notes.

However you send the note, be sure to do it fast - not later than 24 hours after your interview. But don’t let speed get the best of you.

Chances are the hiring manager is going to take a close look at what you’ve said. So express your excitement about the company and the position, and - without being too heavy-handed about it – reiterate some point you made in the interview that demonstrates how you’re the right person for the job.

Not only is this a chance to show off your manners, it’s your opportunity to say what you might have left out. If you remember something you wished you’d shared at the interview, the thank-you note is the perfect place to add it.

Comments

1. BY mp says:

You watched it fool. She has good info so unless you have somthing good to say – don’t say it. Theres enough negativity out there as it is.

2. BY BLBL44 says:

Contractor EST and MattyMat, she has put forward her best feature, her legs. They’re much more attractive than her face or her voice. A smart marketing babe! It’s sad, though, that the younger generation doesn’t like to be told what to do or “lectured.” Humans have been successful as a species because they stand on the shoulders of ancestors.

3. BY Clay says:

What was the point of the video when she just repeats whats on the article. Stupid. Why doesn’t she go over the stupid headhunters and how to get an actual address, or how to navigate the duplicate listings.

That would be useful, now i’m just pissed off and don’t want to use dice anymore.

4. BY Uma says:

It’s a good point. You won’t lose anything, the gain may be the hiring manager will remember your name in the final selection – one more chance!

5. BY Gilemena says:

I guess Dice is targeting MALES.

Oh well.

6. BY v'ron says:

I didn’t watch the video because as many stated, the article made it’s point. I take issue with people who won’t send thank you’s until they got the job because of this “You say thank you in order to be polite if you are or was given something” attitude. Well, if you made it to the interview phase, you were given at least an hour of somebody’s valuable time. That’s how my thank you letters all begin: “Thank you for your valuable time in interviewing me…”

Fine, don’t send thank you letters, kids. Better for me and my oldschool niceties that will make me stand out and keep my name in their head.

7. BY Heidi Heider says:

In theory, this makes perfect sense. In practice, it is impractical. ;-) The way to get a job in this market is to have a slick and impressive resume, to post it online so they can find you, and mainly, to be somewhat flexible about where you’ll work and how much you’ll accept. What is far more important than follow-up notes is connecting in the interview. In 30 years working, I have never heard of a hiring manager turning down a great candidate because they didn’t send a freakin thank you note! Frankly, I feel the recruiter should send me a thank you note for going to the interview, and so should the hiring manager. They will be as lucky, if not more so, to get me as I will be to get the job. Either we all send thank you notes to each other or we agree to save the trees. Yes, of course we should have excellent manners–this is important–in work, in life! We should make eye contact, have a firm handshake, say “nice to meet you,” or whatever, when you meet, and after your interview, say, “it was nice meeting you,” or “hope to talk to you soon!¿ —or whatever feels natural. If it wasn’t nice meeting them, don’t say it was and don’t take the job, Life is short! ;-) But mainly, try to enjoy the whole thing from beginning to end. Don’t stress. Maybe you’ll get the job, maybe you won’t–if not, it was not meant to be and you’ll get a better job! Think positive! If the employer likes your experience and likes you, you’ll get the job, or not—the thank you note won’t be the determining factor. I think it makes you look a bit desperate, actually. Do people even read snailmail anymore? I do career consulting and I know how to get people working: make sure your very hot resume has all the keywords you need; and, mainly, make sure you are one of the most qualified candidates for the jobs you apply for. If you do this, then you are already ahead of the other candidates (rarely more than 10 to 100 contenders). You will interview much less and get way more offers. This may mean less money per hour, but it means you are always working, always in demand, and you can choose your jobs–take the interesting ones and work with good people who treat you well. Or just pick the jobs that look great on your resume–this makes you worth more money and puts you in even greater demand. If they don¿t treat you well¿leave. There is plenty of work out there¿at least in this industry, in the DC area. I usually joke around with recruiters and potential employers from the start—it makes the whole draining experience more enjoyable for all of us. They tend to appreciate it. There must be ten thousand recruiters in this area. If they are not people I can enjoy being with–I don’t want to work with them. Also, be smart about it. I’ve taken jobs, many times, for less than I am worth, but they end up paying me for 30 or 40 hours a week and I get the work done in 15 to 20 hours¿with the quality surpassing their expectations. Standards are very low in this city ;-). Even when they say I have to work on-site, once they see my work, I end up working at home half the time. Do the math. Or they teach me new skills on the job–again–that’s money in the bank. Don’t let them rob you—but don’t get too caught up in ten dollars more or less an hour¿bargain hard but think about the big picture¿enjoy life¿it¿ll soon be over.
    Now, why is this scantily clad Dice lady talking about how long she can suck? Well, we know why, but this approach to marketing is as outdated as women in bathing suits and high heels selling Cadillacs, or candidates sending paper thank you notes to people who don’t have time to read them, for that matter. This ad is obviously targeting men. Maybe Dice doesn’t realize that there are women in this industry also? In fact, there are more female tek writers than males these days. Time to wake up, Dice! Forget the sexy babes with umbrella drinks; forget the thank you notes. Give us someone, old or young, fat or thin, who has a clue about the job market. If they have a sense of humor–all the better! ;-) ~~Heidi

8. BY Espinola says:

You could have said the same thing in tasteful video. Your video was sexist and appealed only to the male speciest.

9. BY Prat says:

After Phone interviews I send ‘thankyou notes” and i dont hear back after that . I assume they have filled the position, but turns out after 2 months they ask me if I am still available, since the position was on hold for some reason. So now I follow up after phone interviews to see where they are in their hiring process.
    It gets very frustrating if they keep us hanging there .

10. BY Heidi says:

Yes, excellent manners are very important, and in theory, this note thing makes sense. In practice, it is impractical and certainly not a deal-breaker. You get a job by having an impressive resume, posting it online, being super qualified for the jobs you seek, and connecting in the interview. I am contacted daily about work, even when I am not looking (I am also a career consultant). Don¿t chase jobs¿let jobs chase you. In 30 yrs, I never heard of an employer passing on a great candidate cause they didn’t send a freakin thank you note. Good candidates are as hard to find as good employers–their time is just as valuable. Perhaps employers shld send thank you notes to candidates. ;-) And why is a scantily clad lady talking about how long she can suck? This approach is as outdated as babes in bathing suits and high heels selling Cadillacs or candidates sending thank you notes. Does Dice realize that there are women here? (In fact, there are more female tek writers than male tek writers.) Wake up, Dice! Forget the legs and umbrella drinks; forget the thank you notes. Give us someone with a clue about the job market. If they have a sense of humor–even better! ;-) ~~Heidi Heider (at g mail)

11. BY Sturgeon says:

Upset commenters:
    Are you serious? You get that excited when you see a woman in a rather conservative swimsuit? If the industry consists of people like you, co-workers are going to be really dull. You need to get out of the office a little more and see what the world is really like.

12. BY SteveW says:

I have had several phone interviews from which I never was able to derive an email address or physical address to which I could send a thank you letter. Whenever at all practical, I always send a thank you, but lately the employers are putting as many road blocks in the way as possible to dissuade job hunters from proactively contacting them — especially when applying via a job board or company website. I am reminded of the cliched phrase, “Don’t call us, we’ll call you.” Fewer messages to read that way, I guess…

13. BY TrainRider says:

If we followed Cat’s advice we would get the kinds of jobs where:

* sexual dynamics are as important as skill on the job.

* integrity and attention to detail take a second place to subservience and a servile approach to problem solving

* success is defined not by how creatively we solve problems, but by how much prestige we garner in the process of appearing to solve client’s problems.

14. BY ContractorEST says:

Those talking legs didn’t have very much to say.

15. BY John Adamsen says:

Ms. “Cat” is a s-e-x kitten, no doubt!

16. BY Jack says:

How odd. She’s talking about how to do the right thing yet SHE’S HALF NAKED DRINKING – this is not appropriate – unless YOU ARE A POLE DANCER OR A HOOKER OR BOTH!!

17. BY Marius V says:

I loved it! It talks directly to the young generation, without sounding as if they are being lectured. The set up is unexpected, and it gets viewers’ attention.
    It shows that there is no contradiction between “fun” and “professional”. This video is both.
    The content is very similar to what I discuss with students in class about thank you notes etiquette.
    The one thing missing is the tropical drink in my hand. :)
    The video delivers the right message in a fun, interesting manner.

18. BY Marius V says:

When you are dealing with a dry, less sexy subject like this, a humor approach helps a lot.
    If anyone is outraged, I feel sorry for them. They need to watch more comedy, and enjoy life.

19. BY David says:

To be honest, it wasn’t worth watching this video b/c everything she said was already in the “article”. The very tail ending, the last 2-3 seconds was cute — but what does her drinking an umbrella topped tropical beverage have anything to do with this — ah yeh, she said thank-you when they gave it to her. Sorry — this was lame IMO.

20. BY Horace Simon says:

In my current job search I’m finding that none of these so-called rules apply anymore; at least not to the employers. Many employers are not taking the time to list positions or seek out candidates, making it impossible to get around the head hunters, who list the positions as their own. This creates multiple, false listings with the location and employer a mystery. Once the recruiters have raced to forward resumes in the first few days, my application via a posting site probably has no chance of reaching the true employer. When the original employer has actually listed a posting, there is no contact information to create a proper cover letter and a phone call to the company usually nets HR contacts who may not even be involved. If I receive an interview, or a company personally contacts me after receiving my resume, they get the treatment they deserve; the others get squat. Maybe the posting sites need to require some basic information to make it easier on job seekers.

21. BY Beverly says:

Well I would have to agree with Horace…..if you even get close to the actual people responsible for hiring, in this job market your competing with 300+ people. I recently had two phone interviews and immediately sent thank you emails to both of them, but never heard from the mgr again…not even an email saying “Thanks, but we found someone else”. I know that this is a employers market but, the least they could do is extend the same courtesies that they expect from their potential employees. It says something about their attitude and “culture”. They may hire the wrong person and come courting again…they should remember that as well.

22. BY Horace Simon says:

Right on Beverly!

23. BY Joe says:

How can anyone take these seriously?

This says a lot about what Dice thinks about the maturity of their users.

24. BY MattyMat says:

I’ll send a thank you note when I get the job, thank you. …and for some reason, I can’t get legs out of my mind..

25. BY Serg says:

You say thank you in order to be polite if you are or was given something. Give me that drink and I’ll say thank you, give me the job and I’ll put myself into it thanking by working hard. This video is charming school not for people who is looking for serious job. In fact it is more irritating when you really need a job and instead job offer you getting some stupid advices from lady on vacation…

26. BY STEPHEN WILLE says:

Pleasant, but not serious.
    I’d appreciate a business disposition when discussing business. Lastly, I don’t imagine Dice members use snail mail.

27. BY Jackie O'Sullivan Capen says:

1. In order to write a thank you, one must first be invited to interview.

2. I am highly skilled, highly qualified, well-educated, experienced, versatile, and come with great recommendations. I have an excellent base resume that I carefully tailor for each position, as well as a cover letter written expressly for each application. I believe that paying some dubious “service” to write a resume and/or cover letter is unabashed plagiarism, akin to buying a term paper.

3. I see what gets hired, and I am not impressed. I was actually told by an employment counselor at Harvard University to “dumb down” my resume and cover letter (and this was when I would have been an internal hire!). Do I really want to work for/with someone so stupid and easily threatened? Smart people surround themselves with excellence; stupid people are easily threatened.

4. One word: sexist. We really haven’t come all that far, have we? I am a woman who has worked in male-dominated professions all my life, including some requiring skilled manual labor. None of the men with whom I have worked would ever accuse me of being prissy, thin-skinned, or humorless. That said, this video is, in a word, crap, especially if one watches to the very end. Looks like the signs truly are pointing to pursuing self-employment.

28. BY Cubicle Hunter says:

First off, although I’m a man, I suspect women would appreciate a follow-up poolside YouTube brief by Cat’s bodybuilder boyfriend who just landed a six digit account manager position by saying ‘Thank You!’

I have landed six digit positions in IT for fifteen years without a follow-up. The trouble with rule based behavior (like always saying thank you) is that it takes intuition and context out of the picture. Some positions like high maintenance exec or sales positions might command gimmickry like thank you notes… whereas bread and butter positions in tech (engineering, development, sys admin, anything that creates or maintains intellectual property) carries no expectations of protocol. They want you, not.

29. BY Bruce says:

“I have sent thank you notes after interviews and it has not done any good.” Perhaps. Or maybe it put you higher in the ranking of candidates, but not quite to the top. You’ll never really know unless someone tells you outright that it made no difference (or it made a difference). And even then, it only applies to that individual. On another note, it looks like the “Cat’s going on vacation” gimmick is really working. I just looked back at a bunch of older videos, and most have one or two comments (some none). The recent ones filmed poolside are in the 20s and 30s.

30. BY Serg says:

Mr or Mrs v’ron the ” ‘You say thank you in order to be polite if you are or was given something’ attitude” is not attitude but simply action – reaction. You are given something good you give something good in return the rest is just ass kissing… I give thank you in appropriate moment. Extra politeness make you only annoying person who is taking extra time from hiring managers for reading your psalms.

31. BY Arthur Davis says:

Thank You Beverly!!!
    Great info, and for some reason I wont forgot the advice about the thank you note. LOL
    It’s is great to see someone that is professional but still shows and old goat like me a new trick or two, and oh yea most importantly,,, enjoying what you do IS IMPORTANT!!!

32. BY Bruce says:

In one respect, sending a thank you is like many other bits of job search advice: It is one more thing to differentiate you from the mass of other candidates. If it is down to you and one or more other candidates that all look fairly equal on paper and performed similarly in the interview (or phone screen or whatever you’re following up with at TY), a brief, polite thank you email could determine which candidates move on to the next step and who gets dropped from consideration.

But it also puts your name in front of the decision maker one more time and gives you an opportunity reiterate — or add — a strength or something that makes you a good fit for the position. As the article and video state, though, it should be fairly subtle. And it is so simple and quick to do. Why wouldn’t you? Especially in a job market like this, where there are probably multiple good candidates for most positions and managers are looking for ways to narrow the field.

33. BY cubefarmer says:

I have sent thank you notes after interviews and it has not done any good. I’m still looking to get a job as an engineer.

34. BY Paul says:

Common courtesy on the part of a candidate — including a well-written thank you note — may or may not help you land a job, but there is simply no credible argument that it will hurt. Accordingly, forget about the legs, grow up and write the damn note! Assuming you wanted the job in the first place.

35. BY richard says:

I have lost out of a few great jobs by not sending a timely follow up email. Was told by the hiring manager when I asked why I wasn’t hired. Take 30 sec to send a follow up thanks.