DiceTV: Do It All and Suffer the Consequences

If your life story was a made-for-TV movie, would you be the one knocking down your teammates so you could catch the ball and run it into the end zone? Every single time? Think you’re impressing me? Not really.

When you try to do it all, you’re sending messages like you need to improve your management skills, you have an out-of-control ego – or both.

If you’re a manager, you’re telling members of your team they’re not capable of doing the job. Is that really what you mean?

Allowing your team members to do their jobs does more than lighten your load. It gives them the opportunity to shine.

By letting, say, Web developers do Web development and database designers do database design, you’ll promote collaboration and improve the quality of each team member’s work.

You’ll also avoid the danger of you dropping the ball at some point. When you try to do everything yourself, the results can be sloppy.

Still can’t let go? It might help to take a good, long look in the mirror. Part of a manager’s job is to delegate. Sometimes to do that, managers have to get over their own egos. It’d be nice if you were irreplaceable, but – really, I’m sorry: You’re not. The truth is, everyone – right up to the CEO – is replaceable nowadays.

Of course sometimes, your worries about delegating may be legitimate. Someone on your staff may not do the kind of work you need from them. In that case, you have to be a manager and address the issue. Providing additional training can often do the trick.

If it turns out the weak link is, well, you, it’s time to acquire some new skills. And delegating is a skill that can be acquired. Think in terms of letting go, a little bit at a time. Whenever you have the chance to break off a small piece of a project – do it.

Comments

1. BY John VandenBrook says:

I¿ve fit the description of the type of person described here, so unfortunately I can relate to the points made. I¿ve also experienced the gratification of leading a team of off-shore, near-shore, and local developers whose combined efforts made it possible to deliver a quality application on-time and under budget. When managers/leads retreat, hold grudges, bully their employees, and focus their energy on nit picking, they emit a toxic attitude guaranteed to negatively affect all. If you become more transparent and human, and rally your team to work together you might be amazed at the transformation in attitude and output. It¿s never a guarantee but doing the opposite will be – that is, a guarantee for failure…

2. BY Lily Young says:

I do not agree with what Bill said. Team leads cannot do it all. There are also different definitions on ¿Doing more or knowing more¿. A real team lead should not be an insecure one. Knowing how to delegate and to produce Team Works is the basic foundation of a good team lead/Manager.

3. BY Matt Gardner says:

As a team player, anytime a manager has given me the right tools and freedom to create, the team succeeds and my desire to produce increases. As soon as I sense that I am being micro-managed, it shuts me down quicker than the power grid on a hot summer day in California.

But are we missing the real point? Will Cat Miller make a fine addition to the New York Giants defensive secondary this year? It remains to be seen if Cat can translate her business advice reporting into 1.5 intercepts per game.

4. BY Tom Sullivan says:

This doesn’t just apply to managers. Anyone on the team can fall into this trap and cause the same issues – but well stated regardless!

5. BY Bill says:

The problem is that this is what companies are looking for right now. They’re looking for people that produce, not people that create teams that produce. They want their managers to know more and do more than anyone on their staff.

They’re looking for team leads, not managers.

6. BY will says:

The message is good, even though the speaker did a good reading and gestures, she is not totally convincing, I think it is because of her age, it looks like a child pretending to be a grown up, trying to teach her parents to do a good job.

7. BY Gerard Kane says:

It is really a ‘Catch-22′ if you will. At least that is how I see it.
    For me, when I think I should delegate – and delegate, I am asked by Management, why didn’t I do it myself.? When I do it myself, my thinking is that “the Team” has a lot to do, and as a Team Leader, I want to decrease their stress level, and do it myself. So, at times when I do it myself, I get asked the opposite: Why didn’t you delegate?
    To me it comes down to the logistics within the organization and what ohers are doing when the delegation is needed. It turns out to be a “crap-shoot”. And I am left with: “you’re damned if you do, and you’re damned if you don’t”.